Question G.Skill RAM stops working while on vacation

Larry_06

Honorable
Aug 8, 2016
Was gone on vacation for a week and came back to my PC starting with a constant blue screen of death cycle (Had no issues prior). Attempted recovery, but the repair tool couldn’t fix it and I didn’t have a restore point. Ended up cleaning all my drives and flashing windows assuming it was a hard drive problem. I was able to reset up windows and get to my desktop and even started reinstalling programs. Blue screen eventually started happening again after each reboot.
Was able to run a windows memory diagnostic test with the result saying my pc does have a memory problem and to contact the manufacturer to find a repair solution. I have taken out my CMOS to reset bios to see if XMP or anything else could’ve been the issue. Obviously want to see if the great people on this thread have any suggestions first that will definitely be quicker. I have a list of my specs below to help with questions. Any help is appreciated
Specs
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (10GB)
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8-Core Processor
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z490-A
Storage: Intel SSD 665p Series (1 Terabyte) and Intel SSD 660p Series (512GB)
CPU Cooling: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 850 Watt Full
Modular Power Supply 80+ Gold
WiFi Card: AX30000 PCIe WiFi-6 Card

Hey there,

So, ruling out CMOS is a good start to diagnose. Good job. A question about that. Did you short two pins, or move a jumper from one position to another. This will clear CMOS. Double check your manual.

You can set up memtest86+ on a bootable USB. Boot into it and run a mem diagnostic outside of windows. I suspect you will find errors, as you already have with Windows tool. The point being, it's likely the ram is the issue. Take one stick out and test one at a time, and see if you can pin it down.

What bios are you running on your mobo?

Larry_06

Honorable
Aug 8, 2016
I appreciate the quick reply!

Should’ve stated in the post, I’m very illiterate to most things troubleshooting lol. Going to have to look up my manual because I’m not too sure on the pins or jumper you’re referring unfortunately.

With doing some research last night when all this happened I seen the memtest86+ and was going to attempt that today.

And after I boot bios, is there a specific spot I check the version I’m on?

Apologize for all the follow up questions.