G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

It might be to make the Alt key a bit more reachable, particularly for gaming, where you may want to use Alt as a secondary thumb function while keeping your fingers on WASD.

KenMarley

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
One of the most primitive macro software I've seen for a gaming keyboard. Software very unstable, had to reinstall it after every reboot just to be able to open it up.

Trolling4Dolars

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I have tried many keyboards over the years, and my KM780 MX, Blue switches, red backlight is my favorite. I like it so much, I purchased another one for work (with my own cash). The 6 G keys and the volume roller are my top features. I have a 8' wide desk, so the large size is not a problem. I give it 2 big thumbs up.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Still waiting on someone to release a new version of the zboard fang. IMO, the best gaming keypad ever made. The keys were physically distinct and made if very easy to know which one you were hitting, just by feel. The layout also helped make sure you were hitting the right keys. Now they want almost $200 used, IF you can find one. Ridiculous. Why can't someone make an updated version of the Fang???

I personally have this keyboard myself, MK780 red LED with MX red switches, and would like to mention a few things that were not mentioned in the article or possibly mentioned wrongly.

As for the N-Key roll over switch on the back of the keyboard and the software. In the software you are not able to select what the N-key rollover is set to but it does display the current position it is set to. I urge you, Scolaner, to try this and find out for yourself.

The Volume LED indicator doesn't seem to rise with the volume IF the volume is adjusted by Windows or a program that can control the volume, Creative control console as an example. It only registers if the volume wheel is physically moved. Did you notice these anomalies while testing?

EDIT: After a bunch of testing and a reset of the OS It was found that in order for the volume LED indicator to work properly the G.Skill software must be run at startup. IF it is not running then the LED does not register the volume change if it is changed from inside the OS. The N-Key rollover selection as mentioned earlier still stands. The reason for this is it is a manual switch and has no motorized mechanisms to flip the switch when a different selection is made inside the software. The way the following is written it says you can adjust teh N-Key rollover from within the software which is not the case.

Under the Setting tab, you can adjust the polling rate to 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, or 1,000Hz; toggle between NKRO or 6KRO; and create sleep and timer settings (for which you can add a lighting effect, because why not).

Odd I have never had an issue with the software for the MK780 myself. This points more towards compatibility issues. If you want to speak of primitive Macro software try using what came with my old keyboard from Saitek, the original Cyborg.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014

I use mine every day. You should put yours up for sale on fleabay or something. Someone will buy it. I'd buy one as a backup, but people asking $200 kinda stops me.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I'd like to know (in all KB reviews) what layouts and country options they have available. I'd rather not have to search the manufacturer's website to find out if I can actually purchase the KB.

Michael_427

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I have many mechanical keyboards. This is the only model my household has THREE of. We love them! The software has it's quirks like any other but these beat any of our Razers and other most used (until these) hands down. The kids love them for the lighting versatility. I just love how good they feel. Red keys for me, very smooth. I'm a heavy Visio users and love the G keys with macros at work, so having such a large keyboard isn't even something I notice.

i-am-i-u-r-u

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
"Cherry’s RGB switches have an LED mounted on the top of the switch housing, and a transparent casing is intended to allow the light to spill out liberally over the surface of a keyboard. In that regard, the KM780 shines, as it were."

I prefer for light to shine only through the keys and as little as possible on the surface of the keyboard. That is why I like my Ducky Shine 4 (with brown switches).

FatalRob

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
I bought the km780 a year ago or so I think it was.i was very skeptical because this was g skills first keyboard product and I heard about other well known ones.i decided to go with this one because I really liked the look of it.ive had absolutely no problems at all with it,or the software.i paired it up with their mouse as well.couldnt be happier!!!

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Good note, we'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.