Serious_Undead54

Reputable
Jun 28, 2016
Hey,

I've currently got a G. skill 1x8Gb Ripjaws V 2400mhz CL15 overclocked at 3000Mhz CL16 at 1.25V. I'm currently getting a good deal on a 2 Years Old USED Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB 2400Mhz Probably CL16 (where as G.skill is CL15 at default). Should I get it or is it worth to spend more to get the same G.Skill Ripjaws V...

How much loss in performance would I've to see compared to running the same dual sticks of G skill.

For Reference, I've an i5 6600k at 4.4Ghz and ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard. I use my PC for Gaming and Streaming.

Solution
It is not recommended to mix RAM modules that were not tested to work together, since it is hard to predict the outcome.
RAM could work fine, might default to a lower speed or might give errors.
Even though half of the time it might just work fine, mixing and matching stick that may have different IC, speed, CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc could cause a motherboard to refuse to work.
Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might come from different manufactures.
To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.
It is not recommended to mix RAM modules that were not tested to work together, since it is hard to predict the outcome.
RAM could work fine, might default to a lower speed or might give errors.
Even though half of the time it might just work fine, mixing and matching stick that may have different IC, speed, CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc could cause a motherboard to refuse to work.
Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might come from different manufactures.
To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero
Solution
Hey,

I've currently got a G. skill 1x8Gb Ripjaws V 2400mhz CL15 overclocked at 3000Mhz CL16 at 1.25V. I'm currently getting a good deal on a 2 Years Old USED Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB 2400Mhz Probably CL16 (where as G.skill is CL15 at default). Should I get it or is it worth to spend more to get the same G.Skill Ripjaws V...

How much loss in performance would I've to see compared to running the same dual sticks of G skill.

For Reference, I've an i5 6600k at 4.4Ghz and ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard. I use my PC for Gaming and Streaming.

Never a good idea to mix RAM like that and DONT buy second hand.
Select a single kit the size and frequency that are supported by your MB and listed on the MB QVL.
Mixing kits from different manufacturers with differing Latency will introduce instability to your system.

A 16GB (2x8) kit will be sufficient for AAA gaming and streaming.

Download your QVL from here and choose from the listing: