Discussion G.SKILL Support sucks - after 25 years it is time to say good bye to them

exonian

Prominent
Jan 22, 2021
I have been a customer of G.SKILL for about 25 years and this was the first time that I had a failure with their memories.

The experience has been such that I WILL NEVER buy G.SKILL memories again. NEVER EVER. I urge you all to consider the support options of the memory manufacturers before you commit.

Here is the story:

Two years ago I set up this kit: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/dT7TwP

I was all happy with great throughtput achieved. Sadly, last October my windows started crashing. As a Windows Insider running on the Beta channel, initially I thought that this was due to the built.

Yet a memory check revealed that my G.SKILLs were failing.

I reached to them and shared the memtest results with their support responded immediately that this was an RMA case and I was to formally receive an RMA approval within a couple of days. And I did.

But here is when the situation is getting interesting.

I was told that the process will take about 3 weeks (imagine being without rig for about 3 weeks plus the postal times). At the time my kit was has having one or two BSODs per week and thought that I can still tolerate the problematic memories.

I suggested to them if they are able to confirm that they have the memories in their European centre so that we can minimise the wait time. I never got a response for this.

Then I proposed something else.:
Guys, I am happy to pay in an escrow account the value of my memories, send me first the replacements, then I will send you back the problematic ones and as soon as you receive them you release the moneys.

Again they had no procedure for this (and it took them actually weeks to respond).

Then I tried to call their HQ in Taiwan, their support number, but to no avail.

Eventually, I wrote to their marketing and sales department ccing all the communication and telling them that this is unacceptable and that I will share my experience in any vista that I find appropriate. Again, not a response from their side.

Then their support team responded and said that if I send them overnight they will make sure that they will give it a priority and so hopefully in a few days I will have my memories.

Since these days I couldnt afford to be without a system I paid 140 Euro to get myself 32GB @ 3200Mhz from Corsair, and also paid about 50 euros for the overnight delivery. The parcel was delivered to them last Tuesday.

OnThursday I am getting an email from them telling me that the process will take 3 weeks!!!

I wrote to them that possibly this is a mistake/automated response, because in their previous message they told me that it will take days.

Again no response by them.

Thank G*d that, given my experience during my interaction with their support, I opted to buy the Corsair's so that I wont be without a system.

Now, apart from sharing this experience with you, I plan to also sue them - to pay me for my memories because I do not want them anymore, their "lifetime" guarrantee is obviously meaningless, if everytime that they fail you will have to wait for a couple of months, as well as for breach of their promise for immediate delivery.

In a previous post here, I also noticed that they seem to send back refurbished memories - at times incomplete.

I appreciate their overall quality of the product but I do not safe anymore with them.

I urge you too to consider firms that do offer decent support.

After all memories are a commodity - most manufacturers either use Samsung or Micron kits - and spend your hard earned monies to the companies that appear to respect them and you, when things are not going well.

Cheers!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You appear to have gotten poor customer service in this case, and that's unfortunate. I'll say appear because you haven't actually directly quoted them or shown screenshots of their communications, so we're only getting your side of the story.

And yes, getting refurbished memory is perfectly normal; you're entitled to a replacement part that is functionally equivalent, not a new part. Not sure what you mean by "incomplete" here because again, you're referring to materials that we cannot read.

However, if you try to actually sue, it's going to end up very badly for you. Your possible damages are extremely limited and a lot of what you're claiming as a cause of action is vague; it's nice to have extremely prompt customer service, but it's not necessarily a right to receive this.

Your risk is especially high if you're not in the United States as the US mostly uses the American rule, in which parties typically pay their own legal costs while in countries that use the English rule (which I believe is most or all of Europe at least), the prevailing party pays both sides' attorney's fees. If the latter, you could conceivably be on the hook for legal expenses a few magnitudes of the cost of your RAM. A better approach would be to cut your losses and simply not do business with G.Skill ever again rather than go on a doomed mission to get a very small sum of money out of principle.