G-sync monitor DVI/HDMI adapters

Marcus A

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
I'm looking to buy a new monitor. I've been looking at the Asus VG248QE and the new BenQ XL2420G and would like to get some opinions on these as well as any other suggestions.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: I use this monitor for more than gaming. I also hook it up to my MAC as a second monitor for work and these monitors only have Display ports. Are there any DVI/HDMI to Display adapters that will work on these monitors if i reduce the refresh rate to 120?

Also, The ASUs before the G-sync module is installed has DVI and HDMI ports. Are these ports removed or disabled after the module is installed?

Lastly, on the ASUS when the G-Synch module is installed dose that make the ASUS capable of ULMB since its in hardware?

Solution
G-sync monitors do require DisplayPort, and from my understanding, the more ports you put on a monitor, the more latency they have, so the G-sync monitors are only using Displayport. The Asus VG248Q may have come with HDMI ports, but they did not work at 120/144hz, they were just there so you could use it as a TV or maybe with a console, and when upgraded to use G-sync, they lose all their connections, and get it replaced with a displayport connector.

Yes, ULMB is with all 120hz/144hz G-sync monitors. Only the 60hz (4k) monitors do not get that feature.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I believe the G-Sync module requires use of displayport I don't think there are any monitors with G-Sync and HDMI available, also the DIY G-Sync kit requires you to use displayport as well. Is there a specific reason you need HDMI? It's kinda dated.

G-sync monitors do require DisplayPort, and from my understanding, the more ports you put on a monitor, the more latency they have, so the G-sync monitors are only using Displayport. The Asus VG248Q may have come with HDMI ports, but they did not work at 120/144hz, they were just there so you could use it as a TV or maybe with a console, and when upgraded to use G-sync, they lose all their connections, and get it replaced with a displayport connector.

Yes, ULMB is with all 120hz/144hz G-sync monitors. Only the 60hz (4k) monitors do not get that feature.

Solution

Marcus A

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
As stated in my post I will also use this monitor to connect to my laptop for work. My MAC has a HDMI connection and thunderbolt that can use DVI or HDMI. I guess another option would be if thunderbolt supports a display adapter.