G-sync or not G-sync

Monsters_ghost

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
So I was planning on an ultrawide when the new lg monitors dropped..
The new 34UC89G is similarly priced as the old one but better
But still now there's a G-sync option..
My question: is G-sync worth another 300$?
And i have a 1070 so i may be able to play overwatch and some other light games @144hz but not all games would run that smooth..
So does G-sync help in making the monitor smooth even on lower frame rates? Or i can just skip it and go with the cheaper freesync ?
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824025121

PS: I'm aware that Freesync doesn't work with Nvedia cards.. it's just there is no option without any of sync stuff..
I know i can't use freesync with my gpu I'm only pointing that the freesync monitor is cheaper

Solution
As said, Freesync is for AMD cards and gsync is for nVidia. The 2 perform equally, however, Freesync doesn't have a module added to the monitor and thus is a lot cheaper. Freesync uses the open standard in the latest DisplayPort revision.

The down side to both technologies is what is known as "Vendor lock-in". Meaning that since nVidia refuses to support adaptive sync (the DP standard Freesync uses) so they can charge for their little module, you are locked into buying their cards only or lose the functionality they call gsync. There for, the same goes for Freesync, since AMD is the only one that supports adaptive sync, if you change brands you lose that functionality.

Personally, I refuse to be lock in to any one vendor and have...
As said, Freesync is for AMD cards and gsync is for nVidia. The 2 perform equally, however, Freesync doesn't have a module added to the monitor and thus is a lot cheaper. Freesync uses the open standard in the latest DisplayPort revision.

The down side to both technologies is what is known as "Vendor lock-in". Meaning that since nVidia refuses to support adaptive sync (the DP standard Freesync uses) so they can charge for their little module, you are locked into buying their cards only or lose the functionality they call gsync. There for, the same goes for Freesync, since AMD is the only one that supports adaptive sync, if you change brands you lose that functionality.

Personally, I refuse to be lock in to any one vendor and have standard monitors. I can use whatever cards fit into my price range and has better performance. When nVidia stops soaking their customers with gsync (wont happen until people stop buying the monitors), then I might consider the tech. The only place I'd consider gsync or Freesync is in laptops.

If you are a nVidia fanboy and never intend to buy any AMD GPU, ever, regardless of price/performance, then go for the gsync monitor.

Solution
Gsync is incredible, but it is expensive. The purpose of gsync if your smooth gaming even at lower fps. So you don't need to run 144fps on a 144hz monitor for gsync to work. Even at 30fps, gsync will lower your monitor's refresh rate to 30hz.

A free sync monitor will give you nothing unless Nvidia updates the driver for free sync to work. But I doubt that will happen.

Given the money you have spent on your rig, I would suggest investing in a really good monitor with gsync as you will be able to use it for many years unlike GPUs or other hardware. I have the Acer Predator x34 and it is incredible, but it is very expensive. It will pair nicely with a 1070.

A monitor will hold its value much longer than any other PC component. If you decide to go to an AMD GPU, then you could always sell the monitor for a much more reasonable return than you would a PC component.

If you want smooth gameplay with no lag, then you don't have an option but to lock yourself into one vendor. It has nothing to do with fanboys for either company, it has to do with using the technology.

Or, just buy a standard monitor and enjoy. Why go through the hassle of trying to resell the monitor. It has a lot to do with fanboys as they are usually the ones ready to fork over any amount of money for anything their chosen company peddles.

To pay an extra $300 for a monitor, then possibly changing to an AMD GPU in the future, but either lose that functionality or go through the hassle of selling the monitor to get another, then rinse and repeat should you upgrade again and change back seems ridiculous. The ONLY reason nvidia wont support adaptive sync is the money they can make off soaking their customers, for as long as they continue to pay the nVidia tax.

It's the same reason the renamed "Reference Design" to "Founders Edition" and hiked up the price.

The variation between Freesync monitor quality is next to nil now. Yes, the original monitors had issues, but that was because AMD didn't have a certification process or standard. This has since changed as AMD realized that is would hurt the Freesync brand. They have tightened the certification process, which is why monitor vendors upped the price a bit. But the performance between gsync and Freesync is essentially equal now...but not so much the price.

As for the $100 dollar extra "limited edition", at least AMD isn't trying to pretend that it's something other than reference design and saying that it's made with "premium materials". Can't fault AMD for following nVdia's lead on how to soak the fanboys.

Note: I have owned both brands and am loyal to no brand. I buy the best price/performance in my price range. My desktop has a R9 390 while my laptop has a GTX 1060 3gb. I just don't like proprietary tech.

The discounted monitor (Samsung's c34f791) that AMD is offering a discount with its Vega bundle has flickering using free sycn from 48-100hz. To eliminate the flickering when running lower fps you have to run free sync in the 80-100hz range.

Considering this is the panel that AMD is featuring for their new Vega GPU lineup, I would consider that a ringing endorsement by AMD. So I would say that the variation between free sync monitor quality is not "next to nil" now.