[SOLVED] G-Sync / V-Sync

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

I’ve read numerous times that one must enable both G-Sync and V-Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel to fully eliminate screen tearing. I had confirmed this first hand as well. One thing still puzzles me, though.
What is G-Sync doing when V-Sync is on? I was under the impression G-Sync was to replace V-Sync.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution
What's your monitor's refresh rate and what fps you're getting?

Gsync works up to the maximum refresh and turns off if go over. While in Gsync range, Vsync is disabled behind the scenes and re-enables if frames leave Gsync range.

If your system is capable of, at any time, exceeding max refresh, you could try increasing details or force an fps cap minimising input lag.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ah, so it’s a gimmick since V-sync already does both. Great.

I wouldn't say gimmick at all.

I recently purchased a new 2K monitor/144hz and with FreeSync and G sync compatibility. I had previously been using a 1080/60 V Sync.
Not only was I able to move to the higher resolution, but gained anywhere from 15+ frames in almost every game, still on high and ultra settings, and no ripping, tearing, stutters, etc. Obviously hardware dependent, but the point being that I was losing THAT many frames to V Sync.

Ah, so it’s a gimmick since V-sync already does both. Great.
V-Sync limits tearing by delaying the presentation of a frame until the next refresh cycle. This means, for example, on a 60Hz display, if the GPU isn't pumping out 60 FPS or higher, the effective frame rate drops to 30, 15, 7.5, etc FPS. So even if the GPU drops to 59 FPS, V-Sync drops it further to 30 FPS in order to match up with the refresh rate.

G-Sync basically tells the monitor to update when the frame is ready. So instead of dropping to 30 FPS to line up with 60Hz when the GPU is only doing 59 FPS, G-Sync makes the monitor 59 Hz for that moment.

Last edited:

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I wouldn't say gimmick at all.

I recently purchased a new 2K monitor/144hz and with FreeSync and G sync compatibility. I had previously been using a 1080/60 V Sync.
Not only was I able to move to the higher resolution, but gained anywhere from 15+ frames in almost every game, still on high and ultra settings, and no ripping, tearing, stutters, etc. Obviously hardware dependent, but the point being that I was losing THAT many frames to V Sync.

Well, all this, and what hotaru had posted is good and makes sense, but again I have to have V-Sync on as well as G-Sync to fully eliminate tearing. So I am failing to see how I can get the benefit of not using V-Sync, if I must have it on.

Well, all this, and what hotaru had posted is good and makes sense, but again I have to have V-Sync on as well as G-Sync to fully eliminate tearing. So I am failing to see how I can get the benefit of not using V-Sync, if I must have it on.
G-Sync eliminates tearing if the frame rate is below the refresh rate of the monitor. VSync eliminates tearing if it's above the frame rate. If you want frame rate to exceed the refresh rate but not have tearing, turn on Fast Sync.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Gsync works up to the maximum refresh and turns off if go over. While in Gsync range, Vsync is disabled behind the scenes and re-enables if frames leave Gsync range.

If your system is capable of, at any time, exceeding max refresh, you could try increasing details or force an fps cap minimising input lag.

Solution

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

Thank you, I was not aware V-Sync would be disabled when needed. My max refresh rate is 60fps, at least until I can get a 30 series gtx card. It depends on the game, but I was going over 60 when playing Doom. I had capped it at 59 before enabling V-Sync, so I’ll uncap it later and leave both on.

The general consensus from people I've talked to seems to be to set a maximum FPS cap about 2-3 FPS below the VRR maximum range, then leave VSync off, since people have sometimes observed off behavior as you straddle the maximum VRR range.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
The general consensus from people I've talked to seems to be to set a maximum FPS cap about 2-3 FPS below the VRR maximum range, then leave VSync off, since people have sometimes observed off behavior as you straddle the maximum VRR range.

Yeah I had tried that beforehand too, but it gave me weird consistent screen tearing on the bottom of my screen. Last night I had played Doom for a few hours with no cap, but both G and V on and had no tearing or issues, so that seems to be the resolution for me, for now anyway.