G-Technology Ships 8 TB Thunderbolt RAID Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I was expecting to open the article and seem some crazy number, like 5k or 10k for these drives. 1k for 8TB isn't that unreasonable for the portability and performance... Kudos.

Still want a Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure for SSD...

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I was expecting to open the article and seem some crazy number, like 5k or 10k for these drives. 1k for 8TB isn't that unreasonable for the portability and performance... Kudos.Still want a Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure for SSD...[/citation]
Why were you expecting 5k or 10k ??? It's just 8Tb and Thunderbolt !

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]Why were you expecting 5k or 10k ??? It's just 8Tb and Thunderbolt ![/citation]
Because it is effectively an apple only product. And apple products, even their accessories, are generally overpriced apple-taxed... Or at least apple-coattailed-taxed, much as firewire devices were often overpriced...

To see that this is about $125/TB, that isn't unreasonable, particularly with the added portability and speed.
I can actually recommend this product based on specs for those who may need it without feeling like crap for doing so on a completely unreasonably priced item...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
8TB $1000 sounds very reasonable to me.
A 1TB HDD 7200RPM from WD or Samsung costs about $110-$140.

If this product does what it says, 8TB sustaining 280mb/s, seems like a good deal to me.

G

4TB on newegg is 340 right now. So they are charging you 320 to put 2 drives in a case......

But they aren't paying retail for the drives....so really they are charging you more then that for the case...

And ya that's apple for you....

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
First this isn't an apple only product. Z77 will ship with thunderbolt support. Second did you see the sustained throughput? 280MB/s is 2nd gen SSD speeds. You're not going to get that from any RAID0 SATA 7200 drives even if you were running them in quads. Maybe some of you haven't been shopping HDD prices lately, but $125 per TB is quite reasonable. This is a great buy for anyone that requires the kind of space it offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.