g3258 then wait for zen?

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015
I need to build a second rig, and I was wondering if I should get a pentium g3258 with some cheap h81 board and an r7 370 and then when zen comes out I will upgrade my CPU since a dual just isnt enough for me and then when zen comes out I will get a second 370, good idea? or should I get a better CPU now, like the fx 6300 or i3 4160 which are $120-$140,but remember to keep in mind the 6300 has much weaker core than the g3258 and doesnt support gen 3.0 also the i3 is a locked dual core with hyper threading

Solution
If you don't need to build right away, then wait until August when Skylake comes out. I wouldn't put too much faith in all the Zen hype (if you followed the FuryX you'll know what I mean). Skylake will be better than Zen even if Zen lives up to the hype. I say wait to build because in order to upgrade to Skylake, you would need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and probably operating system and power supply. It's not worth it.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
If you don't need to build right away, then wait until August when Skylake comes out. I wouldn't put too much faith in all the Zen hype (if you followed the FuryX you'll know what I mean). Skylake will be better than Zen even if Zen lives up to the hype. I say wait to build because in order to upgrade to Skylake, you would need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and probably operating system and power supply. It's not worth it.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
I would wait for benchmark results for Skylake/DDR3 vs Skylake/DDR4 before sinking money in DDR4 since the price difference is still quite significant and the performance advantage might be slim to none.

Unless you need that new system in the immediate future, I would wait to see how Skylake turns out.

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I know this sounds stupid, but for 2 reasons I dont want to get intel that much, first off the damn socket breaks wwwwaaayyyy too easily I had to buy another motherboard for my main rig for $200, second I would like to have an AMD proecessor since there going to have more cores like they always do. but I just learned 2 things today first off skylake is coming out in august?????? and its gonna have ddr4 on the consumer platform, not just enthusiust????

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

OK, then I recommend waiting for Zen if you don't mind. All I was saying was that it wouldn't be worth it to build a computer now and then replace most of the expensive parts in less than a year.

What will the second rig be used for?

If it is for gaming, then a G3258 will be ok up to a point if you are willing to OC it.
The nice thing is that you have a upgrade path to i3, i5, or i7.
If you have a need now, or at least before the fall with Skylake, I think that is your best option.

Upgrade to zen will require a motherboard change, and nobody knows if amd can successfully change their architecture to get decent core performance.
In that time frame, Intel will have Skylake, but that will also require a motherboard change to lga1151.

For gaming, neither will be good with integrated graphics.
R7-370 or perhaps GTX750ti would be appropriate for G3258.
I would not plan on dual cards. Your better upgrade path would be to a single stronger card.

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

although I didnt know intel was releasing skylake in august I though broadwell was coming out in august and I also thought ddr4 would only be available for the x99 equivlent of skylake, maybe I will get skylake instead

utgotye

Admirable
Core count isn't everything, as evidenced by AMD's current products being smacked around by Intel CPUs with half as many cores.

And what do you mean the socket breaks easily. Pretty much all sockets are ZIF, meaning there's nothing to break if you know what you're doing.

The fact that you decided to overpay for a motherboard is not the fault of Intel.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
It's best just to wait for Skylake. It's less than 2 months away, and it promises to be a decent increase in performance over current gen stuff. Also, DDR4 prices have dropped low enough that they are not that much more expensive than DDR3.

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I wanted sli support for 2 970s and I needed overclocking support and thats how much the Z97 A board costed, and all it takes for the socket to break is a slightly out of place cpu on the socket, I usually prefer Intel anyway and will probably get a skylake CPU anyway but the socket is way more durable on the AMD side and the pins are thicker on the AMD CPUs than the ones on the intel chipsets

Rumors are that end of august for the K desktop parts, a bit later for lesser chips.
Skylake can run DDR3 or DDR4, so it depends on which a motherboard implements.

Since Intel does not much depend on ram speed, I am not particularly eager for the more expensive DDR4.

If you can wait, consider repurposing your current parts for a second pc and build using Skylake.

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

will do, I will wait for skylake

InvalidError

Titan

LGA sockets are not that fragile, you just need to be a little more careful with not dropping stuff into them at odd angles.

As for AMD's Zen having more cores, Zen moves from chip multi-threading to simultaneous multi-threading, which means half as many physical cores for the same number of in-flight threads. This will likely translate into a much higher price tag for a given number of cores.

About desktop Broadwell, it launched in early June but only two socketed models are available: the $270 i5-5675C and the $350 i7-5775C.