G4560 graphics troubled

MEL1315

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi guys, i recently got a g4560 with gigabyte b250 ds3h and 8gb 2133 adata ram. Currently i don't have a gpu so i decided to go back to few old games with the iGPU till i get one. But i get poor performance with the hd 610 and i found these-

1. Total available graphics memory: 4183mb (what's this?? 4gb graphics? From where??)
2. Dedicated video memory: 128mb (so you have 4gigs and got poor dedication. Pathetic!)

And in Bios,

3. DVMT preallocated: 32m (expandable upto 1024m, guess i should nail it)
4. DVMT total gfx mem: 256m (whatever that is)

So i don't know what all i should be doing here and if changing the values would make something else sick or if it reduces my ram. So what's going on here? Any help??

Solution
There is no way the igpu would ever use 4gb and have playable fps. It won't even probably go above 2gb. Upgrading ram would be useless.

It does not have 128mb, it can go up to 4gb. It changes dynamically. That's the D in DVMT. It will only use what it needs. It does perform near a 710 and having more vram does not mean more performance. A 512mb 9800gt is better performance than a 2gb 710. It's about the gpu not the amount of vram. A piece of hardware will only perform so well. There is nothing you can do to make it perform more than it is capable of. You can try overclocking but they don't get much better.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What games are you trying to play? And, at what resolution?

The HD 630 graphics are generally very poor, performance-wise. The HD 610 is even weaker than the HD 630.

From what I understand, the BIOS settings don't really matter, and the system will allocate what it needs regardless of what the BIOS settings are.

What were you using to play those games prior to your current setup? The question may be academic, though, as there's really no serious hope to get much out of the HD 610.

Total is the highest dvmt can go. In windows 10, that's half your ram so you have 8gb ram? Dynamic Video Memory Technology changes how much ram it takes dependent on how much it needs so you can still use ram as ram when you don't need it for vram. You actually have 0 dedicated since it uses ram as vram but 128mb should be the current dvmt setting although it's never really accurate. Preallocating will make it not usable as ram and is actually for older windows os. You can change it but it won't actually change because newer windows keep it dynamic. So changing anything doesn't do anything. The performance is bad because it's simply a weak gpu.

WildCard999

Titan
You could try updating the driver and see if performance improves however your still going to need to decrease your resolution and settings quite a bit. I remember having to play BF3 off my iGPU (HD 4600) when every part came in except my GPU, went down to 720P/lowest settings and the game looked like Minecraft but at least was playable around 45 FPS.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers

1. That is probably all the free ram you have at the moment.
2. Yes,if it weren't pathetic you would be left with zero Mb memory for windows.

Any iGPU needs dual channel to work well, but the 610 is still pretty weak.

MEL1315

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
So are you guys saying that even if i set the graphics in bios at 32mb or 1024mb, it still makes no difference? But isn't the iGPU supposed to do the work of a low-end gpu maybe like the gt 710? But a gt 710 has 2gig memory. Then how can this work with only 128mb memory as dedicated? Do you mean to say that if the PC needs, it pushes the memory so i don't have to worry about it? For the time being i just wanna play some games like far cry 3 or mafia 2 at low- med settings. Can't the hd 610 manage that?

I have already updated the drivers.

WildCard999

Titan

MEL1315

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Actually i had an msi gt 1030 which i sold before it's value in the used market slumps. I used that money to make the jump from a 4gb q9400 desktop to an 8gb g4560 build. So I've used up my money for the gpu which i planned on something like a gtx 1050. So for the time being, i want to get the max out of hd 610 till then.

So even if the dedicated mem is 128mb, don't mind it? In that case, what'd be the maximum graphics memory it could upgrade to?

WildCard999

Titan
You can't update it further then what your currently at, the only thing you can do now is adjust the game resolution/settings lower to try to be able to play those games, limiting what is running in the background may help. If there still unplayable then your going to have to save up and buy a GPU.

He can go from 8Gb to 16Gb dual channel that way the system would have enough mem for windows the game and to allocate 4Gb to the graphics.
Basically the dual channel is going to make a difference even if it's just 2x4Gb.

WildCard999

Titan

With the price of RAM if they were to upgrade to 16gb they might as well buy the GT 1030 as it'll cost about the same price and outperform the HD 610 drastically.

There is no way the igpu would ever use 4gb and have playable fps. It won't even probably go above 2gb. Upgrading ram would be useless.

It does not have 128mb, it can go up to 4gb. It changes dynamically. That's the D in DVMT. It will only use what it needs. It does perform near a 710 and having more vram does not mean more performance. A 512mb 9800gt is better performance than a 2gb 710. It's about the gpu not the amount of vram. A piece of hardware will only perform so well. There is nothing you can do to make it perform more than it is capable of. You can try overclocking but they don't get much better.

Solution