Question GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 5.0) and bios settings which may cause stutter.

Aug 18, 2023
I am trying to troubleshoot stutter I am having while gaming with CPU usage 60%-90% rarely going
above 90%.I also have GPU usage not being fully utilised but performing well barring the stutter. I am
getting good frame rates, when I cap the framerate to 48fps and 30fps sometimes I still get stuttering in some
games.

It does not impact gameplay at all in some games, in others it is a real pain. I am still investigating
other causes both windows and GPU related. I would only like assistance with this motherboard and any
settings which may cause stuttering. I have fresh install of windows 10 and GPU drivers as of now. Any
help would be appreciated.

I have removed the Realtek audio drivers on the latest bios update as they can and have caused me mouse input lag in
the past.

Windows 10
GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 5.0)
AMD fx 8350
xfx Radeon rx 6800 swft 319
Kingston KHX2400C11D3/ 8GB x2
Kingston SA400S37240G
SanDisk SDSSDHII240G
Liquid CPU cooler Unknown brand
EVGA 1200 watt 80+ platinum
HP M22f monitor 48-60 fps

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023
PSU is EVGA 1200 watt 80+ Platinum will edit original post.

Yes, it is on life support . I am in the process of upgrading. I went GPU first because it was worst performer in my system (I had sapphire pulse RX580 8gb). I also thought I would get a reasonable but short lived performance gain in the meantime. I have no illusions of solving problem and playing on for another 10 years. I would just like to pursue the only avenue I have not yet fully explored regarding stuttering.

Since I have new GPU I have far better experience in all games. In most games the stutter is on paper only and not noticeable. Was dropping to 30 fps only to see if it mattered or not to the stuttering, it did no. I am dropping video settings and or resolution in some though.

Only UE5 and From Engine games are giving me real trouble at the moment Good framerates but stutters are too frequent to enjoy. So I was wondering if I had missed something in settings which was limiting CPU somehow.

Core is running at 4.3 stable so I tend to leave it there but will try further OC later it has run higher. I will check through OC guides though.

Just for my information. Is it true to say that just because CPU usage is not maxed under load it can still be the bottleneck. I was under the impression that being at or near 100% load all the time was the sign CPU was bottleneck.

Thank you all for your advice and links.