[SOLVED] GA-H81M-D2V problem with Dual-channel RAM

Jan 6, 2021
Hello,

I have recently purchased a second DDR3 8Gb memory stick in the hopes of moving up to 16 Gb RAM total. Upon placing the new RAM in the slot, when I power the the computer it keeps turning on and off in a never ending cycle without ever reaching the boot page. No beeping sounds, it just turns on for a few seconds then shuts down, then on again, etc. I have to keep the power button pressed to shut down the pc properly.

Both 8 Gb memory sticks - one older and one new - are from the same brand.

The motherboard is GA-H81M-D2V. I have just tried resetting the BIOS (taking the battery out) but it is still the same problem. I then updated the BIOS to the latest version (F6), it hasn't changed anything either.
I have tried both memory sticks (the old and the new) in memory slot 2 and both sticks work. So the problem comes from slot 1 in which neither stick works. I had a look at slot 1 and there are seemingly no bent pins (I never used this slot), no dust (I cleaned it)...

I would greatly appreciate any help. Is there a particular option I should be paying attention to in the BIOS set up page?
Thanks!

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
But, such incompatibility will be for trying to run two sticks.
That is not your case since slot 1 does not run with either good stick.

Reading your motherboard manual, it makes no recommendation as to which of your slots is preferred when installing just one stick.
Either slot should work.

I conclude that your slot 1 is bad.
A common reason for this is a bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket.
If you...
" Is there a particular option I should be paying attention to in the BIOS set up page? "
In general....no.
The BIOS should recognize the memory without you doing anything in the BIOS.
So....neither stick works in slot 1 by itself....both work in slot 2 by themselves....and nothing works with both slots filled.
The only thing I can think of....is reinspect slot 1....clean slot one....and try and get slot one working. I think the problem is with the slot (as you seem to)....and if you can't get it working....I think it's time for new MB.

Jan 6, 2021
Thanks.

I don't know if it's relevant but I also noticed that in the Task Manager screen, it says that 1 of 4 memory slots are in use. But it should say 1 of 2 memory slots (not 4).

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
But, such incompatibility will be for trying to run two sticks.
That is not your case since slot 1 does not run with either good stick.

Reading your motherboard manual, it makes no recommendation as to which of your slots is preferred when installing just one stick.
Either slot should work.

I conclude that your slot 1 is bad.
A common reason for this is a bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket.
If you decide to remove the cpu to check, do so very carefully.
The pins are delicate. If you did not drop the cpu in cleanly initially,
You could have damaged a pin. Which pins control what is murky, but dual channel operation seems to be a common failing.

If you see a bent pin, you can try to use a needle to get it straight.
Otherwise, you are looking at replacing the motherboard.

Solution