GA-P35-DS3L or PSU may be failing?

ben_gunn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hello,

I have been running XP w/o issues since Feb '08. Approx. 2 weeks ago, turned on PC one morning (no hardware or software changes beforehand), got as far as XP logo, then auto reboot. Same behavior every time. If I picked Safe mode so I could watch the drivers load, it would get as far as mup.sys, then restart.
Completely by accident, I found that if I pressed F9 for Xpress Recovery2 at the start of POST, then pressed Esc, it would proceed to boot to XP with no issues.
Last weekend, as the first step in my troubleshooting, I went into bios & loaded optimized defaults.
As soon as I made this change, and from then on, the PC no longer makes it to the XP logo; it now hangs at ACPI Controller in the devices listing.
I disconnected all hard & optical drives except the primary HD, removed all connected devices except monitor & keyboard, removed CMOS battery & reset CMOS jumper, swapped RAM sticks and removed 1 or the other, did an XP repair install. Nothing has changed the behavior -- boot still stops at ACPI controller. After reaching this point in the boot sequence, HD LED flashes once or twice briefly, then nothing.
I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next, besides a new PSU or new motherboard.
Thank you!
Ben

fearlessraccoon

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
This is so strange, I posted my topic just a few minutes after yours - i have the same mobo, and am experiencing strange crashes myself, though it does boot up (slowly). I think my crashes are due to something wrong with my browsers - Chrome, FF 3.6, and IE8 all are crashing regularly on me and I cannot find out why.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'll follow your thread in case I find something out that might help me with my issues. I wonder if my mobo is the source of my problems too?