GA-Z270XP-SLI 6-GPU No Boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I just got a 6th GPU to add to this mining rig using the Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI motherboard. I was running 5 GPUs just fine. It has 6x PCIe slots. In the past I had trouble getting Windows 10 to recognize 6x AMD GPUs. So this time I'm using 2x Nvidia and 4x AMD. However, anytime a 6th GPU is connected it fails to boot. I just get a black screen with the small white cursor blinking.

GA-Z270XP-SLI
Pentium G4600
1x8GB G.Skill DDR4 2800
SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1200W
2x MSI RX 570 4GB GAMING X
2x Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+
2x Zotac GTX 1070 Ti Mini
6x PCIe 1x to 16x risers
9 fans

With 5 cards it maxed out at about 900W at full load, 750W with power mods. I just added an RX 580 with a power modded BIOS, so it shouldn't be a lack of power.

Are there just some boards that won't boot with 6 GPUs?

Solution
Problem solved. Gigabyte has an updated bios created for this board. I currently have 7 cards (one in the m.2 slot) running with zero problems. Contact the the tech at gigabyte via phone or email at robertpi@gigabyteusa.com and ask for the F9A mining bios.
May 14, 2018
Damn Mining Problems lol. I know @gfamudslinger88 mentioned he was able to get 7 Nvidia GTX 1060 with one in the m.2 running no problem so I'm sure there is something I'm overlooking, possibly chipset drivers but I installed them all so idk. I'm curious, with your 7 AMD cards running and one in the m.2 riser, in the bios settings under Peripherals>OffBoard SATA Controller Configuration does it say no PCIe Sata Controllers / PCIe SSDs are present? Or is m.2 recognized there?

Just checked, mine says "No PCIe Sata Controllers / PCIe SSDs are present."

darekr

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Thanks so much for the mining bios! Works great. Also followed the guide for a different giga board but worked same on this one.
https://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/462/mining.html

I was running bios f6 but the system seemed to freeze up every day or three. I updated to f9d and then my 6th card didn't have enough resources in Win10 to utilize. Was going to regress to f6 or try up to f8 but found your link. Life saver! Thanks again!

darekr

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Thanks! volkgren posted/hosted a link to it.