Question GA-Z68XP-UD4 | SSD shown as IDE in BIOS, but running at SATA3 speed

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
On my Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard I have the following devices on SATA ports:
0_SATA3 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Sata3 - System C:
1_SATA3 SSD SanDisk Ultra II 240GB Sata3 - Render F:
2_SATA2
3_SATA2 HDD WD 20EVDS 2TB Sata2 - Clients D:
4_SATA2
5_SATA2 Blu-ray LG BH10LS30 - H:
6_GSATA3 HDD WD 20EZRX 2TB Sata3 - Backup G:
7_GSATA3 SSD Samsung 860 EVO 2TB Sata3 - My E:

Ports 0-5 are supported by Intel Z68 and ports 6-7 by the Marvell controller. For some reason, the drives connected to Marvell GSATA ports 6 and 7 in the BIOS appear as IDE - you can see in the first and second attached photos. This is despite the fact that the AHCI option is rigidly selected in the settings of the Marvell GSATA controller (you can see it in the third attached photo) and, interestingly, the CrystalDiskInfo program indicates that both drives on ports 6 and 7 work as SATA 600, it means SATA3.

Please help me.

1jpg_qqwrwan.jpg
3jpg_qqwrwas.jpg

2jpg_qqwrwae.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Mind if I ask what BIOS version you're working with on that motherboard? Please also state the PCB revision number in order to help us locate the right support page for the motherboard. If you're wondering, it's just a functionality/moniker in BIOS, so long as the drive performs at SATA 3 speeds, you're good to go.

For the sake of this thread, I'd physically relocate all SSD's on SATA 3 ports, native to the chipset and not on the Marvell controller, then move the HDD's to the SATA 2 ports since the HDD's can't take advantage of the higher bandwidth. The SanDisk drive can drop into any SATA 2 port since I consider that to be lower in performance when compared to the Samsung SSD's.

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
The BIOS version is F6.
Revision 1.0.

I have already written on two Gigabyte forums before, but no one advises anything:
https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=23307.0
https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/10936/z68xp-ud4-ssds-ide-bios

I also wrote to Gigabyte support
https://esupport.gigabyte.com
and got a laconic answer:
"The descriptions in the BIOS can be a bit confusing, the mentioned 6_GSATA3 and 7_GSATA3 connectors, according to the information from the Crystal Disk program, work in the SATA 3 standard."

My HDD on the SATA port 6 works at SATA3 speed, so I don't want to switch it to the SATA2 port, because I will probably lose it. Am I right?
Also I don't want to connect SSD to SATA2 port because I will lose it.

Schowek11_qqwxrqx.jpg

Schowek12_qqwxxhh.jpg

So it looks like this is a BIOS bug that I have to live with...
And I must admit that as a man quite orderly, it will be difficult for me with this, I will probably dream this mistake at night. ;)

Last edited:

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
Using CrystalDiskMark, I tested the read and write speeds of two SSDs:

C: System, on port 0_SATA3 on Intel Z68 controller in AHCI mode,
E: My, on port 7_GSATA3 on Marvell controller in IDE emulation mode.

These tests show that the IDE emulation mode on the Marvell controller has significantly reduced read and write speeds.

2020-12-0_qqwxapp.jpg
2020-12-0_qqwxaph.jpg

I also made a comparison of the two HDDs in my computer:

D: Clients, on port 3_SATA2 on Intel Z68 controller in AHCI mode,
G: Backup, on port 6_GSATA3 on Marvell controller in IDE emulation mode

2020-12-0_qqwxapx.jpg
2020-12-0_qqwxapn.jpg

Last edited: