GA-Z77-D3H Doesn't Boot After BIOS Setting Change

SuperSVGA

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Yesterday I went into the BIOS and lowered the the CPU clock rate from 4.0GHz to the default 3.4GHz. I saved the changes and exited, and the system rebooted. It then became stuck on the splash "Ultra Durable Series" screen. The reset button on my case no longer worked and I had to hold down the power button to shut it down. No matter how many times I restarted it would not work.

I have tried:
Moving RAM to the other slots
Different RAM
Disconnecting almost everything
Switching to on-board graphics
CMOS Reset
Different PSU

When I short the CMOS Reset, it sometimes gets to the reset options screen, where I have things like:
Reset to default configuration and boot
Reset to default configuration and reboot
Enter BIOS

The first one brings me to a black screen with a flashing white line in the upper right
The second one just brings me back to the same problem I had before
The third one puts me in the BIOS but it still doesn't work when I Save and Exit

I also tried the Q-Flash option in the BIOS but it would not load.

It sounds to me like the motherboard has failed. Does anyone here have any ideas? I find it odd changing one setting would run the entire motherboard.

SuperSVGA

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Just an update. I eventually managed to get the Q-Flash utility to work. I flashed version 23b and it said it was successful. I restarted, and sadly it still had the same problem. Though I see they redesigned the splash screen.

Also some things I forgot:
I had this problem once with an Alienware laptop I used to use. The symptoms are almost exactly the same. I never did find a solution to the problem.
Also I forgot to include specs:
Intel i5-3570k
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.1
HIS Radeon HD 6770
Apevia Iceburg 680W PSU