Gabe Newell Hints At 'Knuckles' VR Controller, New HMDs, A Full Valve VR Title, And More In Reddit AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I always kind of hypothesized that Half-Life 3 would be perfect for VR. The Half-Life titles have always been a bit revolutionary for the genre when they came out. The first Half-Life really moved away from the arcadey shooter experience of the time like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, and more towards sober storytelling. HL2 integrated its physics engine and legitimized the use of physics engines in games ever since. I think VR could benefit greatly from Valve stepping in and showing the industry how VR FPSes can be done. That's usually the only time when Valve steps in for a new FPS: when the industry needs some change, innovation, refinement. And VR needs that badly right now.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I agree with you completely, i'm just not holding my breath.
Gabe did confirm that we'll see more games based on the HL universe. Only time will tell whether that's HL, Portal, or something completely new.

czerro_56

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
AMA was very underwhelming. Gabe did not 'hint' at anything. He answered 20 questions or so, in a sea of 10,000, in a mostly 'yes'/'no' format. I think alot of people were hoping this was some sort of announcement, but it was mostly talking to a wall or a magic 8-ball.

When asked about VR and future developments he basically responded that Valve is into VR and developing VR hardware. Um...obviously? Anything specific? No.

When asked if they were developing a new IP or any sequels to their longstanding projects, he said they are always developing things. Um...well...that's not an answer. People understand how development works at Valve. People were asking if there was something pretty far along the way, that was out of project/concept phase and in ACTUAL development. He danced around it, so we can surmise the answer is, 'No'.

The only questions he really responded to, were personally related and not Valve related. I mean...he must know people were addressing him as the head of Valve and thought the AMA was a tease for something. Nobody cares what Gabe likes at that Valve snackbar, though he responded twice to this question.

It was a very irritating AMA.

czerro_56

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Though, to any conspiracists...he responded to the innocuous and nebulous Valve snack station question more than any other question. I dunno from where that question arose, whether it was a dig at Gabe's weight and he raged, or if it's an actual easter egg. What is the Valve Snack station situation like? Was that a real question? Why did he choose to answer that one several times, but everything else was 'yes/no'?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI

It's a joke about this video from 2001

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait, so Valve has yet to publish any major titles in VR? Sorry to be a noob, but I don't follow gaming.

If true, I find that pretty amazing. You'd think that with all the work they put into Vive, they'd at least support it with one of their flagship franchises. If not as a launch title, soon thereafter.

Wow.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Man, I'll bet half of the Valve old timers have type-2 diabetes, by now. Sugar ain't just bad for your waistline, it's also linked to long-term cognitive decline. Starchy food can be just as bad.

If I had a company, I long ago decided I'd have only healthy snacks on offer. Lots of fresh & dried fruits + dark chocolate and unsalted nuts of every kind. Filtered water, organic tea, and quality coffee to drink. Plus protein powder, coconut oil, and the only sweetener would be glycine.

Ideally, even a salad bar - though, some sort of refrigeration would be needed to keep everything fresh for 24h. Maybe even canned tuna & salmon, instead of beef jerky.

But, if you want junk food, you're on your own.

About 8 - 10 years ago, I used to consume 1-2 energy drinks per day. Since I changed my diet, I have enough energy that I can even get by on much less sleep than is good for me.

Oh, that's another thing... nap rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.