Gaikai is Now Cloud-Streaming MMORPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
ye i heard gaikai and i think it was here in tomshardware.
in the future , cloud gaming will enter our gaming lives for good, possibly wiping or minimizing software piracy . The (other) good thing will be us to be able to play our games from all hd devices hehe, from the beach, while shopping with wife :p etc P

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This whole cloud tagphrase bs needs to stop....

I mean, really, any online game is basically a "cloud" in the first place...

The toons, and their related equipment etc are stored on servers over the internet.... the same as a "cloud".....

ffs...

G

I've actually been involved with Gaikai and can only say that you should give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to use it. True, it is dependant on your internet service which adds a different level of restrictions, however it also opens up a lot of new things as well. It 'could' also work as a piracy deterent, since many pirates claim to only dl the game to 'try it out' then buy it if it's good enough. Well, try it on Gaikai then buy it. Sometimes the release demo just isn't detailed enough or not even the finished product. Gaikai has a lot of potential.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]This whole cloud tagphrase bs needs to stop....I mean, really, any online game is basically a "cloud" in the first place...The toons, and their related equipment etc are stored on servers over the internet.... the same as a "cloud".....ffs...[/citation]

yes, because we have 2 potentialy laggy bottle necks, we should accept a 2 more potentialy laggy bottleneck.

every play on the high end of any mmo? i have, at least group wise, its even worse in raids, where you have less than half a second to press a button or the group dies, you fail to press that button fast enough or lag even slightly, you all die. now, we have an mmo, which can be laggy on the server side, or on the client side, 2 fail points, but useing this servive, you have from you to them, than from them to server, and people will hammer their servers harder than an mmo server, so expect to not be able to play at the high end of any game because of it.

bokuden

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Is streaming demos, to some degree, false advertisement? PC gamers who aren't fully aware of their hardware capabilities may try these streaming demos, thinking their components can handle the pressure. But once they've purchased and installed the software, only to discover it performs like a man running through quicksand, the funds can't be refunded and they're stuck with unusable software.

Minimum and recommended specification requirements are on games for a reason. Think of a streamed demo as an interactive commercial.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I would go for full streaming mmo, but can't imagine running a 10 man raid with friends, this is a great idea for farmvile or mmo games that don't include killing mobs, maybe sims.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
You people seem to be missing the point. You only get to play the browser version for ONE HOUR then you are forced to DL the game. You wont be raiding anything in an hour in browser mode. Its just a simple way to try it out with zero commitment.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]This whole cloud tagphrase bs needs to stop....I mean, really, any online game is basically a "cloud" in the first place...The toons, and their related equipment etc are stored on servers over the internet.... the same as a "cloud".....ffs...[/citation]

i couldn't agree with you more. i am so sick of the 'cloud' buzzword i'm ready to puke.

here, use our 'cloud' browser-based rdp software... what 'cloud' has anything to do with the browser, the rdp connection, or the game itself is apparently way beyond me.

next thing you know its gonna be: try our new cloud adwords, new salve for cloud hemorrhoids, send your kid to the new cloud college, use our new camera to capture clouds to your cloud, cloud clouds clouding cloud clouded cloud, cloud. cloud. cloud. cloud.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
next thing you know, someone's gonna get the great idea to setup a multi-user rdp session so that everyone can watch the serving computer screen watch a movie. ... movie x: tune in at xx:xx, movie y: tune in at yy:yy, etc.

what? we're gonna somehow get that 'cloud' buzzword in there so it'll be okay.

gbroad84

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
What you guys are missing is that the "cloud" is a fundamentally different delivery system to normal servers. We are talking about massive scale systems far more powerful than what is economically viable by any individual business. Do some research on it. It's interesting stuff. The most important facet of it is that your system hardware becomes irrelevant. If your PC is powerful enough to run a web browser, its powerful enough to play the most intensive games. Why? Because the server is taking the processing load of the game off your pc and handling it on the server ("cloud") end.

Status
Not open for further replies.