Question Galax gtx 1660 6GB gddr5 vs Galax gtx 1660 super 6GB gddr6 - real life gaming difference?

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
My current setup is,

Ryzen 5 2400G
Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4 8 GB x 2
Asrock B450 Steel Legend (Bios 2.90)
case has 3 Antec Prism fans. Front fan setup as air intake. Rear and top fans as outflow.
Benq gw2283 60Hz ips Monitor.

Its been 2 months old. At the time of build, I did not want to shell out additional money for gpu and hence went with Ryzen 5 2400G.
Now I am ready to buy gpu. gtx 1660 6GB is what I have identified.
I read specs, watched videos and see that gtx 1660 super get more (under 10) fps and than normal gtx 1660.
Question is will I see this difference In real life while playing games? super is 40 dollar expensive also not available right now.
Also is galax good band? Zotac is the next available option. Msi and Asus are pricey.

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
Thank you. I just found gigabyte gtx 1660 super 6GB GDDR6 in stock and they are delivering tomorrow.

Currently Radeon drivers are installed for the APU.
Tomorrow can I simply plug-in the card, connect monitor to it, boot and install drivers from Nvidia website to start using it?
Should I worry about uninstalling Radeon drivers? Any settings in bios need to be done?

Yes, it should work just like that.

You shouldn't have to mess with anything in the bios. I believe there shouldn't be any conflict with Radeon drivers; if you have no issues with keeping them, doing so allows you to retain the use of your integrated graphics should you ever need to use them again (such as if your GPU has issues at some point).

Reactions: simtcr

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
I bought galaxy gtx 1660 super with gddr6. (gigabyte one sent to me was not super variant, hence retuned it)

Tested in few games. Works great.
One question, in YouTube I see several people doing gta 5 with all settings maxed out, getting close to 100 FPS with gtx 1660 super. Their card temp reaches 60 degrees.
When I try it, I get close to 60 or 70 FPS and card temp reached 72 degree
Are there some tweaks I need to do?

Don't you have a 60 fps monitor? Why do you need 100 fps?

But to answer your question, most of these reviewers that you see testing out GPUs are using Intel processors such as the 8700k, 9700k, 9900k etc. These processors have more cores and threads than yours, and more significantly, they have higher all-core boost clocks than yours (and overclock better for that matter). AMD has the lead in performance per dollar, but Intel is still the king of gaming.

Your 4 core 8 thread 3.9 GHz all core boost clock processor has great value and works well in many situations, but it is less than ideal for high framerate gaming.

At the same time, you might see an increase in performance by overclocking your 1660 Super a bit. Download MSI afterburner and configure it to run on startup and run minimized. Overclock your memory +601 MHz and your core clock +50 MHz. Click on the Windows icon to have these settings applied on startup, and click on the lock button and the #1 button to save this new profile. This should provide you with a bit of a boost.

Thats true.
To me I don't see any lag while playing any games in highest settings. I guess that more important.

Is tweaking the fan speed manually a good idea to bring down the GPU temperature while gaming?

Absolutely. You can create a custom fan profile for yourself in MSI afterburner. You could set your GPU fans so that the RPM percentage increases with an increase in temperature right up until at 60 degrees you set your fans to be running at 100%. This should help with your temps somewhat.

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
Absolutely. You can create a custom fan profile for yourself in MSI afterburner. You could set your GPU fans so that the RPM percentage increases with an increase in temperature right up until at 60 degrees you set your fans to be running at 100%. This should help with your temps somewhat.

I did this. Now temp staying under 65 degrees even after 1 hour continuous play. Nice.
Hope this does not affect the longevity of the GPU or its FANS.

I did this. Now temp staying under 65 degrees even after 1 hour continuous play. Nice.
Hope this does not affect the longevity of the GPU or its FANS.

Your GPU and fans should be just fine. Heck, your original temperature of 72 Degrees isn't even that high.

I do folding@home 24/7 with my RTX 2060 KO; the fans are at 100% constantly and my temperatures vary from 68-80 degrees depending on the work unit its processing. I have been doing this since April and have had zero problems. Not saying I won't in the future lol, but if I can do that, I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
In this card (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/16super-series/galax-geforce-gtx-1660super1clickoc.html) , I got 1xHDMI, 1xDP and 1xDVI.
My monitor is 60Hz 1080 - I am using the DP port for connecting.
My TV is 4k (Mi Tv 4 55inch) - I am using the HDMI port for that.

Above are always connected
In Windows display settings, when I click identify, 2 is shown on Monitor and I have selected Show only on 2 option.

The issue is, whenever some one switch on the tv, the input on the monitor goes away. To get it back, I got to select the HDMI source on TV. And display will automatically come back to monitor.

Any solution?

I'm only ever using one monitor at once, so I'm not the right person to ask, sorry.
In this card (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/16super-series/galax-geforce-gtx-1660super1clickoc.html) , I got 1xHDMI, 1xDP and 1xDVI.

In Windows display settings, when I click identify, 2 is shown on Monitor and I have selected Show only on 2 option.

The issue is, whenever some one switch on the tv, the input on the monitor goes away. To get it back, I got to select the HDMI source on TV. And display will automatically come back to monitor.

Any solution?

I only ever use one monitor at once so I'm not the right person to ask, sorry. Maybe try asking that question in a different thread, see what people come up with.

Any solution?

Set monitor as display 1 as per info below.

1 will always be primary which is why your tv is taking over hdmi cec
If this still doesn't solve the issue then you need to disable cec on the tv input options itself, cant help you with that because I don't own that tv.

https://corporateit.integralads.com...-to-rearrange-multiple-displays-on-Windows-10

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
Set monitor as display 1 as per info below.

1 will always be primary which is why your tv is taking over hdmi cec
If this still doesn't solve the issue then you need to disable cec on the tv input options itself, cant help you with that because I don't own that tv.

https://corporateit.integralads.com...-to-rearrange-multiple-displays-on-Windows-10

There is no option I see to change identify number of monitor to 1.
I can rearrange the displays, make monitor as primary (which I did, still its identified as 2)

Other option, I can try is, use HDMI for monitor. But then with display port I cant get TV to use 4K resolution (May be the DP to HDMI cable I use does not support that)

In the TV, I do not see an option to set CEC off.
Not a biggie, I can remove the cable for TV from the card. TV is used not as frequent as monitor.