[SOLVED] Galax Gtx 1660ti 1click-oc thermal pad thickness??

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Good day!! As the title suggests, just want to ask if anyone knows the thickness of the thermal found in the galax gtx 1660ti 1-click oc.
I am planning to repaste my gpu soon and also changing the pads in the process. Cant really find a useful teardown online so I hope someone can help thanks!!

Solution
Yep, a metric ruler will do for the most part. You just look at the most unsquished part or pick a pad size that is thicker then the compressed size.

You could probably re-use the pads. However, some OEMs use a fibrous gummy pad that basically disintegrates when removed. Some times they use a thermal paste like goop that hardens (haven't seen that in a while)

If they use the more spongy type pads, they can indeed be re-used. It isn't ideal, but better than nothing.

Really you should only re-paste and re-pad if you are having temperature problems. Though I can understand some general maintenance at this time to ensure your card stays in working order.

There is some risk in taking a GPU apart. The GPU die is exposed and if you damage...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I usually just say, buy 1mm thermal pads. If it is 2 or 3 mm somewhere, just use two or three layers.

The really thick pads tend to not fall apart and can be re-used. Often found on cheaper designs anyway. Whenever there is a gap more than a few millimeters, there was a design compromise for cost.

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
I usually just say, buy 1mm thermal pads. If it is 2 or 3 mm somewhere, just use two or three layers.

The really thick pads tend to not fall apart and can be re-used. Often found on cheaper designs anyway. Whenever there is a gap more than a few millimeters, there was a design compromise for cost.
is it okay to stack up thermal pads? wont it hut their performance?

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
I've used Arctic pads in the past. But mostly just buy Fujipoly, which is supposedly the best. A sheet will set you back a bit, but how often do you change thermal pads?
To be honest with you, I am basically a newbie to thermal pads, this will be my first ever attempt at changing them. My pc setup is about 2 year old only since I came from laptop that uses thermal paste only.

I also have no idea when to change pads, since based on the things that I have read, they can be reused again. I just want to change the thermal pads on my gpu so that I know for sure that they have good quality.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, a metric ruler will do for the most part. You just look at the most unsquished part or pick a pad size that is thicker then the compressed size.

You could probably re-use the pads. However, some OEMs use a fibrous gummy pad that basically disintegrates when removed. Some times they use a thermal paste like goop that hardens (haven't seen that in a while)

If they use the more spongy type pads, they can indeed be re-used. It isn't ideal, but better than nothing.

Really you should only re-paste and re-pad if you are having temperature problems. Though I can understand some general maintenance at this time to ensure your card stays in working order.

There is some risk in taking a GPU apart. The GPU die is exposed and if you damage it, well , end of card. You could potentially damage a surface mount component when removing the heatsink. Or even rip out a fan cable or something. Not a big deal as long as you are careful.

Solution