[SOLVED] GALAX. Is it good or bad?

Sep 16, 2021
I'm looking to buy a GPU. I've seen a lot of GPUs. Among them, the GALAX GTX 1660 Super EX 1-Click OC is in my budget. Should I take it or hold on for the prices to go down more?

Solution
I haven't ever heard anything specifically bad about Galax as a brand.

It would be hard to gauge whether that card would be the best bet for you. What will this be paired with? What are your game or use plans for it, and what is the target desired as far as performance?

The 1660 Super is a few years old now and on the back side of mid grade performance at this time and, of course, will continue to be pushed back as the wave of new tech gets better. It should be able to accomplish decent frame rates at 1080 mid settings. Indicators are showing that GPU prices are (supposedly) going to continue to fall. I suspect something like a $250-300 price range on this card which puts it in the average ballpark of a 3050 or 6600 (XT). I cannot...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I haven't ever heard anything specifically bad about Galax as a brand.

It would be hard to gauge whether that card would be the best bet for you. What will this be paired with? What are your game or use plans for it, and what is the target desired as far as performance?

The 1660 Super is a few years old now and on the back side of mid grade performance at this time and, of course, will continue to be pushed back as the wave of new tech gets better. It should be able to accomplish decent frame rates at 1080 mid settings. Indicators are showing that GPU prices are (supposedly) going to continue to fall. I suspect something like a $250-300 price range on this card which puts it in the average ballpark of a 3050 or 6600 (XT). I cannot find that specific card in stock for pricing comparison.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Where I don't see the 1660 Super as a 'bad' pairing to a 10400, I suspect you will be leaving a bit of performance on the table. At the same time, it certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go spending on some high level card unless you plan major changes to the base system (upward) within a short time frame. In particular, if you have a 1080P monitor running at 60 frames it should work out fine.

Sep 16, 2021
Where I don't see the 1660 Super as a 'bad' pairing to a 10400, I suspect you will be leaving a bit of performance on the table. At the same time, it certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go spending on some high level card unless you plan major changes to the base system (upward) within a short time frame. In particular, if you have a 1080P monitor running at 60 frames it should work out fine.
I have a 1080P monitor runniong at 75 frames.

KyaraM

Admirable
I have a 1080P monitor runniong at 75 frames.
Should be sufficient. I would still try to grab a better card, like the 3050, just to make sure that you are able to play newer games a bit down the line, too.

About Galax, it's a Palit brand, though one rarely found in the West iirc. They are the biggest trusted partner of Nvidia, the biggest Nvidia card manufacturer, and generally make very decent cards. I got another of their brands (Gainward) myself in form of a 3070Ti and used a Palit 1070 before, and before that a 770. The 3070Ti, as it turns out, is also very OC happy. So basically a long-time customer and I loved them all so far even if I made no direct experiences with Galax yet. It shouldbe fine, though.

Reactions: OctaneMan