Galaxy S 4G Gets Torn Down, Set on Fire (Kinda)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Pity they haven't changed the ass-backwards placement of the speaker. Its a stupid idea to have it firing out the back of the phone.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Pity they haven't changed the ass-backwards placement of the speaker. Its a stupid idea to have it firing out the back of the phone.[/citation]

if the phone was a bit fatter i would prefer the speaker to be out the back and center, that way there is no chance in hell of my fingers covering the holes no matter how i grip it for games. if i want better sound, id use headphones, if i just want to piss some time away, give me a center back speaker that i cant cover up with 1 finger.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
What about Tungsten or Titanium?
Aluminum is ore than light enough, why go for Magnesium? Sure, it's a little stronger, and 2/3 the weight, but I'd rather a metal that can really take a beating.

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
@ Travis Beane:

Their decision was most likely weight based only, as magnesium typically costs just shy of double the cost of aluminium on a per tonne basis. Titanium however is a further 4 times the cost of magnesium and tungsten carbide is even more expensive. Solid tungsten carbide products are not as common as you would think; it is usually a hard-facing or coating on a cheaper material like 304, 316 or 2504 alloys.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]What about Tungsten or Titanium?Aluminum is ore than light enough, why go for Magnesium? Sure, it's a little stronger, and 2/3 the weight, but I'd rather a metal that can really take a beating.[/citation]
I'd go with the magnesium if it increases schock resistance. Titantium and tungsten would be overkill for a phone...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
would love to have a actual tungsten carbide case for my phone... but would not want to pay for it... magnesium ws probably a good medium over aluminum while still being economical

G

@Travis Beane

carbide tungsten is not only heavy but relatively brittle which makes it far from ideal for products that will sustain regular impact forces, titanium is a pig to work and machine hardens very easily which will result in it becoming more brittle

the only reason why you would choose carbide tungsten is if you require something that will be in constant contact and motion against another item, titanium would only ever be chosen if you have a product that is exposed to extreme temperature conditions (it most valuable property is the ability to maintain dimensional stability across a wide range of temperature). Both are ridiculously expensive in terms of raw material and also to work and process

magnesium is a nice compromise, though more expensive and harder to work then aluminum, still no where in the range of titanium

Dannypwnsall

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
If you think magnesium is fireproof, I fear for the future of mankind. Look at old Volkswagen Beetles and find the error in their ways. If they lit on fire, god help the people inside. Nothing could stop the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.