Galaxy S3 Beats iPhone 5s and 5c in Touch Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I wish more this were tested more. I can't tell you how many times I've used a device (iDevices in particular) that it was hard to type because it would come up with something else than what I thought I typed.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Not only touch accuracy is important but response times are just as important, especially if you want to play a game every now and again.

I pointed this out almost a week ago, when the study came out. Glad Tom's finally decided to publish it. Still waiting on the article about the borked sensors in the iPhone 5S. LOL

Apple: mediocre phones and subpar OS that is only a shadow of it's former glory.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
A side note is what a great phone the S3 was and still is. Mine has been outstanding for over a year and a half. Still as fast as the day I got it and able to run any app I throw at it. Nothing that has been released since has been enough to tempt me to upgrade.

It's no wonder the S3 was such a game changer for Samsung. Compared to the competition at the time, the iPhone 4S, it was in another league. It aged much better with its beautiful 4.8" screen, removable battery, and expandable storage. Yeah, it's plastic, but it feels sturdy and at least I haven't had to replace the the glass back 2 times like my sister had to on her iPhone 4S or the home button like my father did on his iPhone 4.

Here's hoping the S5 is something pretty amazing because I would certainly give Samsung another shot.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Well I'm glad I cheaped out and bought a S3 instead of a crapple or S4 because what I needed was more of a phone than a tiny laptop.

Nice that the affordable option is actually on par or better than the more expensive one.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Interesting point about IOS. The main reason for buying an iPhone or iPad was the smooth operating system and large app library. The newer versions of Android now match iOS in these areas, and surpass it in terms of features. It could definitely be argued that iOS is now well behind in this area and shows no sign of catching up as iOS 7 was a mostly superficial upgrade that added very little in terms of functionality.

Spencer Castillo

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I have my galaxy S3 for more than a year now and I can say that it is way above its time. its definitely better than the iphone5 and 5s.im not even thinking of upgrading to galaxy s4 or any current phone because the improvements is not that significant. there might be a lot of phones today that have higher specs like bigger camera pixels or higer res display but the technology is only a small step up and user experience is pretty much the same. I will stick with this phone for like a year or two and wait for another game changer phone.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
You guys need to ask yourselves who built these displays? Most likely Samsung, so why the exact same outcome on the 5c and 5s? I'm not sure what Android do, but Apple report a touch position slightly higher than that of the center of the contact area. This is because the perceived position is different from the actual position touched, and it's biased towards the top of the screen, hence these results.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
i have the s3's bigger brother the note 2 and my experience is about the same as most peoples here. An amazing phone well ahead of its time. And its fully paid off on t-mobile meaning lower bill!! 69.99 for unlimited everything and my city has t-mo LTE turned on.

That is what is so great about t-mobile, if u don't feel like upgrading you can keep a lower bill the other big 3 carriers have the phone subsidy permanently built into the bill even if you hold the phone the full 2 years your bill still doesn't go down you are effectively forced to continually upgrade or pay for a subsidy you are not using. In the past this wasn't a big deal as phones rapidly changed and you needed to upgrade at least every 2 years. We are starting to hit the point of diminishing returns now and you can easily hold a phone like the s3 or note 2 a good 3 years and not be sad maybe even 4.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
"Interesting point about IOS. The main reason for buying an iPhone or iPad was the smooth operating system and large app library."

Except that touch accuracy was a thing when it was better for the older iPhone models.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I also have the Galaxy Note 2 and love it! It's rooted with custom ROM which removed the bloatware that Sprint put on it. Thanks to the custom ROM the phone is smooth as butter and great battery life!

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Wonder why did not perform the tests on HTC One and Nokia Lumia. THe HTC One ha amazing touch responsiveness and so does the Nokia Lumia 800. Both are phones that I own.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I mean, really? In the age of the internet you couldn't google who was the display manufacturer for the 5C and 5S? It was not "most likely" Samsung. It was Japan Display, Sharp and LG. Apple tried to move away from Samsung as much as possible with the iPhone 5S/5C. Which in turn produced probably the most inferior iPhone released ever.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
acyuta

The Lumia 800 has a horrible touch sensor. I've never owned a more inaccurate touch phone in my life. It is impossible to draw a proper circle on it, the line jumps all over the place. And I've tested that on other Lumia 800 just to confirm that my phone wasn't broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.