Game Developers Conference 2011: In The Trenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
"Today, games are both highly integrated into the culture, yet apart from it. We clearly see conflicts between the growing gaming culture and those who consider gaming a waste of time, or in the case of some news networks, even dangerous."

I know what "news" network hes talking about. *cough* fox *cough*

radiumburn

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Still don't understand how fox can be considered a news network when it seems that its main goal is to push out false information and fear

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Wow you two - this is SUPPOSE to be about gaming. Leave your bias about cable channels because you don't agree with them or don't like one of their show hosts, for a political website, not Tom's.

G

I don't think biofeedback can help , I mean every person is different you can't measure a game like that, could be the greatest game for some people and the worst game ever for others ...

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
FOX is playing the biggest game of all "Battle For Your Brain". Spending hours watching FOX is more dangerous to society than spending time playing games.

Playing a stratagy game is no different than playing chess, other than being treated to a great visual spectacle...is watching a sunset art?

I like playing fps games...maybe because it reminds me of playing 'Hide and Seek' or 'Cowboys and Indians' as a kid...the thrill of a chase, etc.

Art will always be in the eye of the beholder and it cannot be defined.

G

So MSNBC and CNN aren't slanted one bit? Get out of your caves.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
this is all cool, but to be honest whats really going to happen is once the new consols are released, everything spoken at these confrences about quality, new technolagy, and intergration will be lost (unless its intergrated into the consols).

As it looks from my side these companies will be tooooo buisy trying to program for technolagy that they all but ignored since the release of currant generation consols.

the games comming out will be full of leaks, bugs, and problems, then when they get ported to PC it will be made worse.

There is nothing impresive happening in the game industry. they can talk all they want, but like De Vinci, if all you do is talk and draw pictures thats all they will ever be talk and fluff.

once they use whats out there then ill start listening, till then I would be terrified to try anything these companies would pump out just by the chance of bugs destroying the experiance.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
In my opinion games are art it all starts with good concept/story and takes it to another level games are do inspired by culture but more or less global culture. we can or can not say they are waste of time or are dangerous as all of us know "too much of anything is not good" and there are always exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.