Question Game feels like 60Hz and skips frames on high end PC ?

Tricolores

Prominent
May 5, 2021
Well, well, well. It has come to this point.

So, here comes the story. I've been playing CSGO for years without any issues. I've played for two years on my old configuration, existing of an X570 Aorus Elite motherboard, a Ryzen 3700X and a XFX VEGA56 GPU. I have a ROG Strix XG258Q as primary display and a AOC G2460V as secondary display. It worked great and I had no issues.
As a real PC enthousiast, I felt the need for upgrading and the GPU was the first thing that was up for replacement. So, preferring AMD, I went for the RX6700XT.

It didn't play out well. It has driver issues with CSGO (and other CPU limited games) basically giving lots of players framedrops that you can clearly see on the net_graph. In my case, it dropped a fraction of a second from about the default framelimit (400fps) to 120fps and back. It made the game impossible to play on a competitive level. AMD is investigating the problem but I wasn't planning on waiting for a few months until this got finally fixed. So, out with the RX6700XT and in with the Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC.

So, this is where we are now. I cleanly installed Windows 10 on my computer, to be on the safe side of things, and updated my BIOS to the latest firmware.
The framedrops are gone - basically confirming the AMD issue - but the game feels like I'm playing on a 60Hz monitor. To be clear, I'm not. I'm playing on a 240Hz.

On top of that, the game seems to "skip" a frame for a millisecond every now and then, which is very frustrating to say the least. This can not be seen in the net_graph, contrary to the AMD issues earlier.
I've. Tried. Everything. Every solution on the internet I could find, except for reinstalling Windows with UEFI disabled (so, on legacy mode) because this makes no sense whatsoever.
Everything was tested. It never got solved. To help on the troubleshooting process, some of the things I tried below.

Reinstalled GPU software
Reinstalled Windows 10 from six months ago and disabled updates (to avoid the current problems with one of the latest updates)
Tried with GSYNC and without
Changed in game settings to every combination possible
Changed Nvidia settings to every combination possible
Disabled Game mode, full screen optimizations
Disabled GAME DVR
Debloated Windows 10
Disabled background processes
Tried other USB ports for mouse

The only thing I could figure being a problem was the DP-cable. I bough a new one, VESA certified and high quality, it gets delivered tomorrow, but I'm in serious doubt if this will solve the problem.
You guys are my last shimmer of hope. Help me solve this issue. Have you had anything like this yourself? Do you have any possible solutions you can think of, that I haven't tried yet?

You would earn my eternal gratefulness if you help me to get this solved.

Kind regards,
Tricolor3s

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You should fabricate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows 10 and do not tinker around with it's powershell, registry or anything of that kind. Just make sure you're disconnected from the internet during OS install and with the drivers armed on an USB drive, install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers?

Tricolores

Prominent
May 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You should fabricate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows 10 and do not tinker around with it's powershell, registry or anything of that kind. Just make sure you're disconnected from the internet during OS install and with the drivers armed on an USB drive, install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers?
Hi, thanks for your reply!

At the moment, I'm at the latest BIOS version. I always use DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, yes :) Sadly, no solution found yet.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome!

By latest, that's when you mention the version. You might want to look through all the threads on the forums that state the latest BIOS and then we notice that either the BIOS wasn't the latest or it was a Beta version, both of which aren't good.

So you're sure on the OS being free of corruption as well...? You didn't answer the rest of my questions.

Tricolores

Prominent
May 5, 2021
Welcome!

By latest, that's when you mention the version. You might want to look through all the threads on the forums that state the latest BIOS and then we notice that either the BIOS wasn't the latest or it was a Beta version, both of which aren't good.

So you're sure on the OS being free of corruption as well...? You didn't answer the rest of my questions.
It should be corruption free, yes. I have reformated a few days ago (before the "debloating") and had the same issues before and after the format.

I have BIOS version F33h, this should be the latest :) I understand your caution, I'll try to answer more completely to your questions.