vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I had the setup below

i3 3220
Rx480 8gb nitro +
8gb ram

I upgraded to a second hand i5 3470.

I dont seem to have noticed any noticeable frame rate difference in games.

Like the resident evil 7 demo playing on high or very high with an i3 I was getting around 25 - 30 FPS - on the i5 25 - 30 FPS. I have to turn a lot of settings off to get it near 60fps.

Mafia 3 very high on i3 same, around 35 FPS - on the i5 around 35 - 40 FPS.

My graphics card is always at 100% usage on both games.

I mention these 2 because 1 is known for very high requirement of hardware and the other is supposed to be optimised to lower gamer rigs from what I've read.

Am I missing something or just expecting too much out of the hardware I have?

Thanks

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I think Low optimization of your motherboard bios is mostly at fault here. I think your i5 has 2 of its core shut down, which make sense that it gave the same performance as i3. Try going to Bios and check the cpu section, see if all core was on. It might still using i3 setup.

what about your ram? is it 2x4Gb or single 8Gb?

Even my old i5-2320 3,5GHz should be able to do better than that. Last time i played Battlefield 1 with it + GTX 1060 and it stays above 60 fps although cpu usage hit 100% and gpu usage only 70% (due to vsync on).

Good luck

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Run msi Afterburner in game. Take note of the gpu clocks, voltage, temps etc. Should also pull the pc side panel and verify all the fans are spinning as they should be at 100%. It might be that the fan over the VRM's is not running and causing voltage issues, which will throttle your card badly.

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Yeah I got a window on my machine all the fans are running, can hear them a lot as well.

I will check bios as suggested

I have 2x 4gb ram sticks.

A few people seem to be having the same issue and have ended up going back to windows 7 and solved it. I don't really want to do that as I want Dx12

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
So looks like it was a driver issue. I already used DDU and installed latest driver.

Did it again but removed the AMD and ATI folders manually as well. Installed latest and now get 76fps on highest settings resident evil 7. Can drop to 58fps in the kitchen but only for a second or two.

Fans on my CPU and GPU are not going crazy, temps have dropped a bit, must have been struggling because of the drivers.

Much better than it was. I wasn't even getting 60fps on medium settings before.

Hopefully with a few little tweaks now can get a slight bit more out of it.