Game freezes gtx 970 SLI @4k

jacky-the-ripper

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hello,
I'm having a serious problem with my rig while gaming on 4k Resolution. Hope someone can help.

Whenever I play a relatively new game ( happens on mgs5 tpp, resident evil 7, dying light ect.) on full details and 4k Resolution it will sooner or later freeze.

I still hear the background audio but the display stands still. I'm still able to alt+tab or go into Taskmanager.

Occasionally the system would even reboot on it's own.

My specs are:
CPU: i7 3770k of @4,3 ghz
Ram: 16gbs @1600mhz
Mb: Asus p8z77 ws
Gpu: 2x inno 3d gtx 970
Psu: Corsair 1000hx (brand new)

What I tried so far:

Reinstall OS like 5 times.
Used ddu to clean install latest Nvidia drives.
Cleaned out case with air spray to make sure there's no dust.
Checked all connector cables, rams and graphics cards to make sure they sit steady on the MB.
Swapped the graphics cards slots and got new SLI Bridge.
Got new psu which I installed yesterday because the previous one was a quite old be quiet dark power p7 1200w.
Checked all temps, nothing is going much over 60°.
Used memtest to check if ram is faulty.
Used prime 95 to check CPU stability.
Ran multiple 3dmark benchmarks to check if the problem occurs ( it didn't)
On 1080p there are no issues at all. And also with SLI disabled everything is normal( but crap FPS)

So I think I ruled out every common reasons like ( Drivers, OS, temps, Psu ,connectors)

This issue persists for 1 year now and don't know what to anymore. My last resort would be grading up the gpu to a Gtx 1080ti.

Please someone help

At 4k, you are shorting yourself out with the 3.5GB of Vram for the 970. A single 1080, if I recall correctly, should be better than a 970 SLI. As such, you keep getting freezes.

Upgrade to a 1080 or 1080Ti. That was you don't deal with the disadvantages of SLI and still get much better performance.

But remember, even the 1080 and 1080Ti cannot manage constant 60 FPS at 4k with the settings at ultra.

jacky-the-ripper

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I know about that vram issue and therefore I'm monitoring it and the problem would occur even if I'm not running into the 3,5 gb limit. I'm trying to downclock the gpu's now. See if it helps.
Yeah I know that single 1080ti or so would perform much better.
I'm just begging for a solution that will stop these freezes/reboots.

Thanks for answering anyway :)

jacky-the-ripper

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hey I found a solution to get my system more stable again!

I used the MSI afterburner software to downclock my gpu's for 30mhz on the clock speed and the freezes stopped !
Though this might not be the best solution in terms of performance, but at least I'm able to play on my rig again !