Question Game is running really slow for the components I have

Jun 16, 2019
A lot of "taxing" games (GTAV, Black Ops 3 and 4, and Fortnite even) struggle to get decent framerates for the specs that I have. I average around 90fps on max settings in most games like these which wouldn't be too bad if the monitor wasn't 165hz refresh rate like it is. Do I have too high of hopes for my system or is there something I can do to improve this potential issue? I have:

i7-8700k at 3.7ghz not OC'ed
SLI GTX 1080s ROG
32 gb of ddr4 RAM at 3200mhz

The monitor I have is an AGON AG271QG which is a 27" monitor that's 1440p 165hz refresh rate that I game on as well as an HP 2311x as a second monitor that often only has discord or task manager on it if anything at all.

When I have task manager up while I am playing, the cpu never gets much above 60 or 70%, the RAM won't get much above that either and the graphics cards will get up to about 98% even though games like GTA (shows me how much VRAM it's using) says it's only using about 25% of the graphics card.

Also instead of total cpu usage how about each core, are any individual cores hitting 100%?

If you reduce game settings or resolution even as a test do you see better FPS?

GTA V is known to have poor sli scaling so that could be factor, I’m not sure about the others but this may just be poor sli support.

Jun 16, 2019
Also instead of total cpu usage how about each core, are any individual cores hitting 100%?

If you reduce game settings or resolution even as a test do you see better FPS?

GTA V is known to have poor sli scaling so that could be factor, I’m not sure about the others but this may just be poor sli support.

I’ll check on the individual cores thing tonight. As for the game settings thing, yes certain settings help. Namely shadows in most games will really help frames. Resolution helps as well but I don’t mess with that too much usually