Question Game keeps crashing

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
I've been playing Rust on steam for a while now and I have been constantly crashing and can't find a way to fix it, any ideas?
GPU: GTX 1070 TI
CPU: I7 4770
12 GB ram

Here is the event log.
Faulting application name: RustClient.exe, version: 2019.1.10.2029, time stamp: 0x5d24512f
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0xe59692c2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000011e5e0
Faulting process id: 0x71c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5560aa1bcc2c8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rust\RustClient.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: c693509c-8bfb-4183-b2fd-6ee82f368f36
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Possible causes:
1)Corrupt or missing files or drivers
-Windows up to date?
-Motherboard drivers updated? *Can be found on the board manufacturer's website.
-Have you verified the integrity of the game files through Steam? *To find it, right-click the game in the library, click Properties, then click the local files tab.
-Run a scan of your Windows files. Link: Using System File Checker

2)Virus or other malicious software
-Have you run a virus scan lately?
-This program is pretty good at finding nasties. Link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

3)Bad ram, or combination of
-12GBs isn't a normal configuration. If any of the sticks were sold as a pair, then just use those 2 in the slots required by the motherboard for dual channel mode.
-If they're all mismatched, then use only one, and test the game with each to see if the crash can be reproduced.

Reactions: aimxdtv

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Possible causes:
1)Corrupt or missing files or drivers
-Windows up to date?
-Motherboard drivers updated? *Can be found on the board manufacturer's website.
-Have you verified the integrity of the game files through Steam? *To find it, right-click the game in the library, click Properties, then click the local files tab.
-Run a scan of your Windows files. Link: Using System File Checker

2)Virus or other malicious software
-Have you run a virus scan lately?
-This program is pretty good at finding nasties. Link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

3)Bad ram, or combination of
-12GBs isn't a normal configuration. If any of the sticks were sold as a pair, then just use those 2 in the slots required by the motherboard for dual channel mode.
-If they're all mismatched, then use only one, and test the game with each to see if the crash can be reproduced.
The ram i have was from my prebuilt PC.
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F3E45AA&opt=ABL&sel=DEF&lang=en-CA
Should I try to take out the 4 GB one?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The ram i have was from my prebuilt PC.
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F3E45AA&opt=ABL&sel=DEF&lang=en-CA
Should I try to take out the 4 GB one?
Huh. It was packaged like that.
Ok. Try the game with the 4GB stick out first, and then with the 8GB one. See if you can reproduce the error.
In case of faulty mobo slots try it in different slots.
If after all that, and it still crashes, you will need to try the other steps I mentioned above.

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Huh. It was packaged like that.
Ok. Try the game with the 4GB stick out first, and then with the 8GB one. See if you can reproduce the error.
In case of faulty mobo slots try it in different slots.
If after all that, and it still crashes, you will need to try the other steps I mentioned above.
Tried it out, game still crashed. I've already reset my PC completely and it still happens and scanned for viruses and all the steps above.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looked around a little, and one of the solutions appears to be increasing the virtual memory available:
-Go to the Start menu, and click on Settings
-Type Performance
-Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows
-In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change
-At the bottom of the new window, check what the Recommended value is and how it compares to Currently allocated
-If the current setting is significantly less than the recommended, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box at the top of the same windows and then click on Custom size
-Enter the Recommended value in the Initial Size box, and a larger figure - 10GBs, maybe? You might have to try the full 12 you currently have if it doesn't work - in the Maximum size box
-Click OK to save the new settings

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Looked around a little, and one of the solutions appears to be increasing the virtual memory available:
-Go to the Start menu, and click on Settings
-Type Performance
-Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows
-In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change
-At the bottom of the new window, check what the Recommended value is and how it compares to Currently allocated
-If the current setting is significantly less than the recommended, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box at the top of the same windows and then click on Custom size
-Enter the Recommended value in the Initial Size box, and a larger figure - 10GBs, maybe? You might have to try the full 12 you currently have if it doesn't work - in the Maximum size box
-Click OK to save the new settings
The recommended is 2424MB and the current setting is 13312 MB. Should i still change it?

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
But you only have 12GBs of ram, 13312MBs = 13GBs of ram.
I was only suggesting setting the max page file to 10GBs/10240.

If you wish to make all 12GBs available, you can do so: Initial Size = 2424MBs, Maximum Size = 12288MBs
Nevermind, I'm confusing myself so set max to 10240?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-If you have headphones, unplug them
-Go into the Rust configuration file and set field of view to 70
-Try going into properties, then to "Local Files", next you open up "Browse local files" and then it will have a file saying "RustClient". Run the Rust client
-Open the game in windowed
-Steam -> Settings -> Beta participation -> Change -> NONE - Opt out of all beta programs -> Restart Steam
-Wait it out. Rust is a big game and takes a long time to load. When loading in dont click anything just be patient
-Changed the graphics from Fast, to Simple
-Disable 3rd party antivirus(this wouldn't be a good long term solution)
-https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1049940-rust-keeps-crashingfreezing/
-Use Display Driver Uninstaller to fully remove old graphics drivers and reinstall new driver
-Reinstall the game

Is this game still in early access or something? There's a bunch of possibles, but no concrete or universal fixes for this game.

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
-Try going into properties, then to "Local Files", next you open up "Browse local files" and then it will have a file saying "RustClient". Run the Rust client
-Steam -> Settings -> Beta participation -> Change -> NONE - Opt out of all beta programs -> Restart Steam
-Wait it out. Rust is a big game and takes a long time to load. When loading in dont click anything just be patient
-Use Display Driver Uninstaller to fully remove old graphics drivers and reinstall new driver
-Reinstall the game

Is this game still in early access or something? There's a bunch of possibles, but no concrete or universal fixes for this game.
I'm pretty sure its not in early access anymore.

aimxdtv

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
-Reinstall the game

Tried most of it still crashes, man my PC is just scuffed lol