Game Over? Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kirsby

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
AMD can lower the price to even it out? or can they?

In the bottom of the line AMD dont have the same size of "pocket" as intel. Which means that intel can "survive" a long "scale" war.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
AMD can lower the price to even it out? or can they?

In the bottom of the line AMD dont have the same size of "pocket" as intel. Which means that intel can "survive" a long "scale" war.

That's certainly true. I have a feeling that AMD will have a hard time in the up coming months but I just hope that they will eventually bounce back. Competition is good for the customers and I certainly wouldn't want to go back in a time where Intel was the lone CPU supplier, that thought gives me the creeps............

Good article...good for Intel...it's about time they pulled their head out of their ass...just happy the speculation is over and there are real world reviews to read...

I just hope I can weather the influx of gloating fanboys...this is the 1st post of about 4 or 5 threads I've seen so far today...some people put way too much of themselves into these things...don't know why I'm surprised, given the mentality of some of the forum denizens...

As impressive as the graphs and charts show Core2 to be, it's still not compelling enough to justify the time and cost to build a new machine...I kind of equate things like this that little kid who thinks he can run faster because he's got new sneakers...the graphs and benchies are impressive no doubt, but it does make me wonder how much of the performance gains are solely user perception...an additional 5-10 fps in games already getting over 100fps...an few seconds shaved off encoding time...

syn1kk

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Ya so... now it is a waiting game to see what the amd fanatics/zealots will try to bring up to refute this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Conroe seems good, probably the best thing intel released since the pentium 3, but i must say WOT THE HELL ARE AMD DOING?? :evil: they have known this was coming for at least a year i say, and they have jus sat still, slugged around and dun f*** all about it, now they say K8L will be here in 2008, this looks like the netburst-k8 war agen but with the companys being the other way around!

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
further to that, is even 20fps+ worth shelling out $1000 for a processor? If AMD's price drop is significant, I do not see this processor really dominating the market except for the extreme performance hungry (without concern for money).

The reality is, most of us are on a budget, and Intel has always been on the low end of that scale. That is the reason AMD is here to stay, at least for a while yet.

Bravo Intel for coming up with some new innovation, but too bad the price does not justify the performance for most.

Skidd

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2004
further to that, is even 20fps+ worth shelling out $1000 for a processor? If AMD's price drop is significant, I do not see this processor really dominating the market except for the extreme performance hungry (without concern for money).

The reality is, most of us are on a budget, and Intel has always been on the low end of that scale. That is the reason AMD is here to stay, at least for a while yet.

Bravo Intel for coming up with some new innovation, but too bad the price does not justify the performance for most.

Ok so let me try and understand your logic here.

The top of the range CPU is $1000 and because of that you wont buy that CPU range? Have you even seen the pricing on the E6700 and E6600?

As far as I can see, the $300 E6600 is the Direct Equal to the $1000 FX-62.

So now intel is expensive? Really? :roll:

ia-Ryu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
So what do you guys think is the best performance to dollar chip AFTER overclocking?

Right now I'm on my 3.4GHz P4, and have been eye-ing the Conroe since I first read about it. The time has almost come, and I need to decide which one to look into.

And while $1,000 won't break the bank, if I can get similar performance out of ~$500 with an OC, I can't say I'd mind saving the extra $500. :)

-Ryu

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
well, I suppose if they can pull themselves off by a new design some time before (K8) in the middle of nowhere (not sure if P4 owns Athlon XP around that time, oh well), I would say they will need the next one to keep themselves on the shelves, and they probably would just instead of doing the AM2 thing in 65 nm, they should come up with something totally different to start their 65nm line

Exterous

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Conroe seems good, probably the best thing intel released since the pentium 3, but i must say WOT THE HELL ARE AMD DOING?? :evil: they have known this was coming for at least a year i say, and they have jus sat still, slugged around and dun f*** all about it, now they say K8L will be here in 2008, this looks like the netburst-k8 war agen but with the companys being the other way around!

What has intel been doing for the past 5 years with Netburst? I doubt AMD has been doing nothing - Processors are an expensive and long development product. Not something to say "Hey guys, we need a new processor to be developed, tested, have the fabs produce and make thousands of them in a year" And if someting isn't working right in the chip......well, thats just more time.

Looks like I will be getting the E6600

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I just signed up to this forum after a real long time of reading it.

Not that long ago, I was about to get myself a nice new AMD system, maybe a 4400+ with 2 gigs of ram, nice fast hdd, the works. I was really proud of my £1000 ish system and was about to buy - when I decided to check THG. I was really glad I did, as I read the article on AMD reinventing itself. I felt so dissapointed with the entire thing (AM2) I stopped my order and decided to just leave it another year or so before I upgrade my 1.6Ghz P4 *shudders then hides*

Well, that was until reading about Conro, and this latest article has sealed it for me. I'm so impressed with Intel (never thought I would say that, always thought they were pants compared to AMD), and the 6600 chip looks wonderful and for about £250 I can now go back to my original system idea and get something signifnicantly better, for a bit less. I'm just hoping its going to be fully Vista compliant and wont mean I will need a further upgrade when that comes out?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
There are many parts of yuor system that you have to consider for being able to run Vista, but if you have a Core 2 Duo you will have at least ticked the CPU biox.

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The only thing Im a little sad about is that there is no 2mb cache versions in the review, in fact Im having little success in finding the 2mb cache versions in any reviews! I like seeing the super fast versions in all their glory, but Id also like to see the processors Id be able to purchase :) Especially where theres a cache difference which is harder to estimate than clock speed in my opinion...

Anyone seen any reviews with the other processors? If so, could you post a name or link? Thanks.

EDIT: AnandTech did have the one of the two, the 6300. Still wasnt the one I was really looking for though, so if anyone sees the 6400 please post a link or name. Thanks

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The only thing Im a little sad about is that there is no 2mb cache versions in the review, in fact Im having little success in finding the 2mb cache versions in any reviews! I like seeing the super fast versions in all their glory, but Id also like to see the processors Id be able to purchase :) Especially where theres a cache difference which is harder to estimate than clock speed in my opinion...

Anyone seen any reviews with the other processors? If so, could you post a name or link? Thanks.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1

Already posted here by someone else.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Where's all the AMD lovers? 9-inch, MMM, etc I am sure they don't want to see his post nor the article from toms. They probably think Intel is paying Tomshardware to write that post lol...

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Okay Tom's, what's going on when you list all those processors in the test setup but only present results for a handful?

I would really like to see the results as well as results for processors such as the Ahtlon 64 3000+, as I'm sure many people have systems with those ($$$ considerations).

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I don't mind whether the X6800 is the MOST OUTRAGEOUS CPU in the history, or if the E6600 is the best price/perfomance CPU, I just want an E6300! :D
Cheap, and fast as hell. :trophy:

Awesome upgrade from my 3200+ it would be... :wink:

1. Conroe is for real; all the hype was right, at least most of it.
2. The $316 E6600 handed the $1,100+ FX-62 it's butt in virtually all benchmarks.
3. The power consumptions on those processors are very, very good.

The race is over when these hit the retail channel. I'd like to see MadModMike come back and explain this article.

m0rk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
1. Conroe is for real; all the hype was right, at least most of it.
2. The $316 E6600 handed the $1,100+ FX-62 it's butt in virtually all benchmarks.
3. The power consumptions on those processors are very, very good.

The race is over when these hit the retail channel. I'd like to see MadModMike come back and explain this article.

As it happens i asked him @ sharikou blogg when or if he`s coming back (ofc after posting every new benchmark their is). He has yet to reposoned.. muhahahaha

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Hmm, Good article, but I'm confused about whether the game performance at least was realisitic. Didn't seem like the settings were pushing too hard, and on other sites I've seen the margin between the AMD's & Core Duo 2 were MUCH closer (Intel still won out).

Randy77

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Where's all the AMD lovers? 9-inch, MMM, etc I am sure they don't want to see his post nor the article from toms. They probably think Intel is paying Tomshardware to write that post lol...

AMD lovers? You've got one right here, simply because they had the fastest AND coolest running processor for a long time. They also did the 64 bit extensions right, and did dual core right, from the beginning.

What can I say now? I'm seriously looking at the 6700!!!!! Not only did Intel catch up (Finally!), but they leapt quite far ahead. I hope the competition keeps going. Not too many years ago, Intel would have charged $800 for the 6700. I love the new prices. :)

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I'm very taken aback by this immense processor battle. I think it's the toughest it's been in years. However, I'd still like to go with AMD because I think those CPUs overclock better.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

** I'm speechless **

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
/q from the THG review article, "Core 2 Duo does not only bring a substantial jump in performance, it also manages to surpass its AMD rival: The Intel chip dominates most benchmark disciplines and came out on top in 35 out of 37 tests. AMD's fastest processor still holds the crown in synthetic benchmarks." /end q

What are syntehtic benchmarks good for, besides measuring raw mem power/speed? Anybody can shed some light, briefly, on this. I'll be doing further reading on this in particular, but in what way does synt power affects the core2?

Thanks! :?

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Ya so... now it is a waiting game to see what the amd fanatics/zealots will try to bring up to refute this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Conroe only won 35 out of the 37 tests! I am sticking with AMD :D