Question Game Performance Progressively Degrades After Re-Formatting Windows

gab20

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I am not a frequent poster here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I am at my wits end on this. Just over 3 years ago, I built my 6th gaming computer (specs below). I am running into this issue that is somewhat hard to explain and even comprehend, but I can recreate it. Basically, it feels as if the performance in games becomes progressively worse. What I mean is, day 1 of a fresh reformat of windows on my pc is the best day it performs, but gets slightly worse over the coming days and weeks. However, it doesn't really get worse in terms of how many FPS I am getting in any said game. It is more in how the gameplay feels and performs. I play a lot of Valorant, CSGO, and Escape From Tarkov. For example, in Valorant and CSGO, day 1 of a reformat and install my game runs crisp, the hit reg is on point, and my personal performance is at the top. Day 2 it gets ever so slightly worse. Day 3 the same and so on and so on until around Day 7 it feels as if it bottoms out where it's not by any means unplayable, but doesn't feel crisp (sluggish is the only way I can describe it) and especially on gun sprays I have half my bullets that just disappear point blank, and my personal performance is not nearly as good (and no where near as consistent). Then I reformat on that same exact day, and boom, back to crisp gameplay with great hit reg. It literally feels like the way the game plays and feels is like night and day. What I see happen in Tarkov is the same, but I will also start to see choppiness in the game when lets say running around and turning the camera. What is even more baffling about this one is I have literally had nights I go to bed where it is the smoothest I have ever seen, wake up the next morning after I shut down the computer, and it is now choppy as all hell and feels like I am playing on a 60 hz monitor. I know Tarkov is not a well optimized game, but inconsistency like this overnight seems off.

I just want to give some background on me as well hopefully to level set that I am just not some random pleb. I am a diamond ranked player in Valorant (top 5%), was semi-pro in Counter-Strike 1.5, 1.6 and Source (I'm super old in gamer years now, 35), so I know my way around an FPS game. I really am not trying to show off or anything, just trying to provide some context. I am not ever expecting to be as good as I once was, hand eye reaction is just not the same. I am just looking for consistency so I don't have to constantly format my pc which feels like I have done way too much! This is an issue I never had with previous pc builds either.

I have tried I swear every windows optimization guide and performance fix out there, even the more quirky ones you find in the depths of random forums that worked for like one guy. I can detail out every one if needed, but the list would be massive. I am hoping to find others that may have this same issue or somewhat same issue that can point me to a fix. I've tinkered with a ton of bios settings. I have tried different hardware to the point where the only pieces I haven't swapped out yet are the motherboard, processor and power supply. I have updated drivers, tried old drivers, tried Windows 7, etc. I am sure I have tried other things I am forgetting to mention here too! It has basically been a 3 year issue I have been researching, and for most of the time giving up and just living with the problem. I honestly should I have probably come on here a lot earlier.

I appreciate any and all help!!!

Windows 10
I7 - 7700k
Asus IX Hero Motherboard
32 gb Corsair 3200HZ DDR4 RAM
EVGA GTX 1080
850W EVGA Power Supply
AGON 240hz Monitor
2 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Lutfij

Titan
850W is the wattage of the unit while EVGA is the brand. Can you state what model the unit is and it's age? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You might also want to see what the version for your OS is. Did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

gab20

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Lutfij,

No problem!

1. The Power Supply product number is 220-G2-0850. I believe it is discontinued so I couldn't find it, but here is a link to the 220-G2-0850-XR... closest I could find (https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC). I believe the Power Supply is 3 and half years old.
  2. Bios version 1301 (most up to date on ASUS website for my board)
  3. Windows 10 Version 20H2 (I just formatted a week ago, and did a full Windows update)
  4. I have a DVD-R that I created a Windows Boot Image on that has Windows 10 version 1511 on it. Once the format is complete, I don't do anything until I fully update Windows to most current version.

Thank you!

gab20

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks for the response Mr. Spock. I currently have Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service disabled as well as Diagnostic Policy service disabled. What other steps can I take to do what you are suggesting?