News Game publisher claims 100% crash rate with Intel CPUs – Alderon Games says company sells defective 13th and 14th gen chips

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Is there a way I can get a beta of this game? Is it on Steam as some early access or something? I know it is a dinosaur RPG and I'm not into those at all,but I bet it would run fine with a similar treatment as The First Descendant does. That one took 10mv less undervolt than SOTTR did with my usual, often repeated reduced vdroop settings. But TFD also runs fine at completely Asus "stock" settings on my average setup. I can make it unstable though, all it takes is to lower the volts below stability.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Have been using a 13600k for a while now. No issues regarding the cpu in my case
That's an i5. All of the articles I've seen about this have mentioned Gen 13 and Gen 14, i7 and i9 K-series models. Also, the Gen 14 seem more affected than Gen 13.

So, you might be safe, or maybe it'll just take a lot longer for the i5-13600K to start experiencing these problems.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
I have a relatively new system with i7-13700k that I only use when I play games.
It is working fine so far, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of having to replace it and the mobo, should it fail prematurely.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley
I already assume Intel knows its a defect (they are large enoguh and have smart ppl theres no chance they havent found issue by now) and that is why they haven't publicly stated the issue now after months of silence....if they admit tis defective product they would be required to refund anyone w/ issue and I assume they dont want to deal with it so they will drag it out as long as possible and try to come up with a scapegoat reason.

I have a relatively new system with i7-13700k that I only use when I play games.
It is working fine so far, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of having to replace it and the mobo, should it fail prematurely.
From listening to the Level1Tech interview on Gamer's Nexus is that the servers would be fine at first and then after 3-4 months have failures. Figure if these are running 24/7 then 3-4 months for them is 9 months or longer if you game 8hrs a day every day. Less usage means it will take longer to happen in theory.

Giroro

Splendid
In this case, I'm going to blame the game studio, simply because they let somebody say "100 times fewer" in a press release.
If they company's leadership can't express basic math correctly in clear English syntax, then its easy to imagine their coders are getting confused and making mistakes.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023
If I recall correctly, these are i9s only, right? The 14700K and non-K series were unaffected?
The linked announcement doesn't specifically say.
Intel's statement back in June stated i5, i7, and i9s are being investigated and profiles have been updated. This leads me to believe that these three classes may be affected. Though I've not seen anything other than i9s talked about in youtube videos and articles such as this.

Source:https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1614355

Nov 20, 2023
I already assume Intel knows its a defect (they are large enoguh and have smart ppl theres no chance they havent found issue by now) and that is why they haven't publicly stated the issue now after months of silence....if they admit tis defective product they would be required to refund anyone w/ issue and I assume they dont want to deal with it so they will drag it out as long as possible and try to come up with a scapegoat reason.
In a joint video from Level1Techs and Gamers Nexsus, Wendell states that he wants Intel to customers whole by either fixing the problem outright and/ or providing replacements. Steve said at two different times in the video that he believes he knows the issue but doesn't state it so as to allow Intel to do whatever they choose to do.

I agree with you that Intel most likely knows what the issue is. They are more likely than not, looking to provide a coding fix to bandaid or stall the problem long enough so people forget about it and they don't have to provide refunds, replacement parts, or anything of the like. Which in turn will make it so 6 years from now a court case will be settled and affected users will be paid 3 dollars for the defective hardware. While companies such as Alderon Games will get a decent but proportionally insignificant refund.

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
If I recall correctly, these are i9s only, right? The 14700K and non-K series were unaffected?
For now, yes, that appears to be what most are saying...well, not that they are unaffected by far less prone, at least up to this point in time. Some are simply taking their i9's out and putting in i7's like the 14700K. I definitely wouldn't recommend this as spending cash twice on probably two faulty CPU's is, uh, you know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
We'll have to see if the i7's even start to fail and at faster and faster rates, but I believe it will take exponentially longer than the i9's, i.e. probably not until sometime in 2025. Then again, there are even reports of 14700K's failing, such as hardware times noting this:

Last edited:

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
On the plus side, Nvidia are probably thrilled that this is redirecting attention from things like melting power connectors :)
Yeah, even though they've managed to sell 4090's like they were 4070's. :cautious:
That and the situation is largely contained. I'm 90% confident that the 5090 will have this connector, lol.

phitinh81

Prominent
May 6, 2023
In a joint video from Level1Techs and Gamers Nexsus, Wendell states that he wants Intel to customers whole by either fixing the problem outright and/ or providing replacements. Steve said at two different times in the video that he believes he knows the issue but doesn't state it so as to allow Intel to do whatever they choose to do.

I agree with you that Intel most likely knows what the issue is. They are more likely than not, looking to provide a coding fix to bandaid or stall the problem long enough so people forget about it and they don't have to provide refunds, replacement parts, or anything of the like. Which in turn will make it so 6 years from now a court case will be settled and affected users will be paid 3 dollars for the defective hardware. While companies such as Alderon Games will get a decent but proportionally insignificant refund.
Very thoughtful. If nowadays tech world let them get away just like that, we're more dumb than the 90s people.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
The linked announcement doesn't specifically say.

True. It does include links underneath the Resources tab and it points to the i9 series but others have pointed out more chips are affected.

Intel's statement back in June stated i5, i7, and i9s are being investigated and profiles have been updated. This leads me to believe that these three classes may be affected. Though I've not seen anything other than i9s talked about in youtube videos and articles such as this.

Source:https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1614355

They only point to the K series, which I'm hoping means the locked chips have skirted this problem.

For now, yes, that appears to be what most are saying...well, not that they are unaffected by far less prone, at least up to this point in time. Some are simply taking their i9's out and putting in i7's like the 14700K. I definitely wouldn't recommend this as spending cash twice on probably two faulty CPU's is, uh, you know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
We'll have to see if the i7's even start to fail and at faster and faster rates, but I believe it will take exponentially longer than the i9's, i.e. probably not until sometime in 2025. Then again, there are even reports of 14700K's failing, such as hardware times noting this:

Wow, this does not look good.

They are more likely than not, looking to provide a coding fix to bandaid or stall the problem long enough so people forget about it and they don't have to provide refunds, replacement parts, or anything of the like
issue with that is if the performance is hampered they'd still get sued as they did for selling prior cpus at specs that they couldnt hit due to the micro patches that hampered critical risks like wannacry and the like.

Even if it isnt their likely going to lose a bunch of future customers who deal with this issue to amd

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador

My guess is that a proper fix would reduce performance by too much, risking a class action lawsuit. So, Intel's plan is just to try and drag out the matter as long as possible, hopefully until the warranty expires on most customers' CPUs. It's the minority of CPUs that are failing, so it would be cheaper for them just to do warranty replacements as-needed.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
If nowadays tech world let them get away just like that, we're more dumb than the 90s people.
The Pentium FDIV bug (if that's what you're referring to) occurred in 100% of CPUs with the model & steppings that had it. If you were doing any kind of financial, scientific, or engineering work, you'd definitely have been affected by it, to some degree. That made it a different class of bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM and King_V

visusys

Commendable
Jun 15, 2022
After literally ordering an i9-14900KF yesterday and receiving it today along with a GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS PRO X, I am absolutely horrified. Afraid to put together the build.

Despite being a shameless Intel fanboy for over 15 years, I'm thinking I should I return both and buy a Ryzen 9 7950X3D.

...Though another part of me wants to press my luck and hope I received some good quality silicon.

Ugh.