News Game publisher claims 100% crash rate with Intel CPUs – Alderon Games says company sells defective 13th and 14th gen chips

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Well, it replaced a machine that I used for 10 years (Sandybridge i7-2600K - and no, I didn't get it new). I'm not planning on getting 10 years out of this one, but I wasn't planning on keeping the old one for that long, either.
(y)
I didn't think the old machine would need more that 8 GB, but then I upgraded it to 16 GB about 4 years ago and sure glad I did!
I well believe it.
With usage as high as 5-8Gb when doing almost nothing (Windows 10/11), AND with whatever the iGPU needs to drive graphics, 16Gb is very, very low today.
This time, I got 64 GB. Why??? Because it doesn't support memory overclocking and I'm using its iGPU, where memory speed is actually relevant (and also, less bandwidth is left over for the cores). The only way to increase performance beyond baseline DDR5-4800 is to use lower CL RAM and dual-rank memory. With DDR5, the smallest dual-rank DIMMs are 32 GB and you'd better run a pair of them to fill out the full 128-bit datapath!
I was pointing the finger at myself. I got 64Gb of Crucial baseline DDR5 because it was a good price and a lot of RAM. Turns out i very much don't need more than ~20Gb, if that.

That's a very good point about dual-rank DIMMs though! (y)
The H0's die has a smaller ring bus for lower latency and better efficiency. Cooling is a little harder, but still not bad since it doesn't clock very high. These were among the reasons I didn't step up to a bigger die.
Another good point. You really made an effort to tailor the build to your needs and with an eye to getting the most out of it. Well done.

Reactions: bit_user

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Sorry, I expressed badly, my take is that Intel sell factory overclocked processor.
Intel pressed by competitor did a step too long.
You realize intel sells locked cpus all the way down to 35w right? Do you realize how silly it sounds to focus on the k parts when you supposedly don't want "overclocked" parts? It feels like you are going out of your way to find something to complain.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022