Question Game says it's installed on HDD but it isn't.

Sep 12, 2024
So, I have installed Star wars outlaws on my 1tb SSD. Everytime I open the game up it says:

"The game is currently installed on a mechanical hard drive which might result in unexpected and unwanted issues. It is recommended to install on an SSD"

I definitely installed onto my SSD as I always do with all my games.

Is there something I'm missing here? I also do get a fair bit of what I can only describe as "stuttering" when playing. And this is not only with this game, I usually get it when I'm playing other games like Rocket League for example.

Here are my PC specs if needed:
RTX 2060 6BG
MSI Z390-A PRO
16GB RAM BALLISTIX 2666
I5 9400F

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2024
Steam and windows are on 2 seperate SSD's. And i have my games installed on another SSD.
anything else installed on the mechanical HDD? steam itself, windows?

so no hdd installed at all?

check the speed of the ssds with the manufacturer´s tool
Yes, I had a HDD which I use to store photos, smaller programmes like drivers for my audio interface, photoshop etc. Anything game related I install on of the SSD'S.

I have recently done a fresh install of windows to see if that cleared any issues but sadly it didn't.

Sep 12, 2024
check if windows is booting from the hdd
you can see this in the drive management of windows

speed of the ssds is ok?
Well, I just checked in task manager/performance and it is showing my HDD as drive label G. Yet, in my file explorer it says the 1tb SSD is file label G. Is it possible I have them mixed up (both the HDD and the SSD I use for games are 1tb in file size.

If so, I may have been installing my games on the HDD!! How do I check this?

Sep 12, 2024
Ok, so I checked and in task manager it shows the brand/model of my drives.

I've marked the drives up wrong.

So yeah, I've been installing my games on a HDD and small programmes on my SSD.

What a melon!

Reactions: helpstar