Question Game suddenly plays entire round at 20 fps while 15 minutes before it was 140 fps ?

Jan 7, 2023
I have been having this issue on and off. I play the game and if I'm lucky it works, then suddenly the fps is dropping to an unplayable framerate (and stays that way for probably the rest of the day) while the GPU is at 100% which I don't think it normally does. This is not the only game the sudden low fps happens to. Do you guys know any fix or something I could try to further diagnose the problem?

EDIT: I have a Lenovo legion Y540

Jan 7, 2023
Hi! thanks for the reply
CPU: intel core i7 9750h 2.60 GHz
RAM: 16 gb
GPU: 1660ti
1TB hdd for games
512 GB ssd

no hardware has changed or whatsoever as it is a laptop. It happens to all games, I tried it in death stranding to which used to run fine. sometimes it seems even my browser is slow now.

watching youtube already gives 50% GPU usage, that is weird right?

Yes, it sounds like your system is throttling somewhere. I've literally the exact same specs, but my laptop is an HP Omen 15.

I'd suggest running something like Throttlestop, and using the lmits function to see what is happening to the CPU at load.

You can use HWInfo to monitor all CPU temps etc. This is the most reliable for monitoring temps.

When was the last time you cleaned the laptop? Have you ever disassembled it to clean it out? This may be necessary.

Are all system drivers, chipset, and bios up to date?

Jan 7, 2023
Yes, it sounds like your system is throttling somewhere. I've literally the exact same specs, but my laptop is an HP Omen 15.

I'd suggest running something like Throttlestop, and using the lmits function to see what is happening to the CPU at load.

You can use HWInfo to monitor all CPU temps etc. This is the most reliable for monitoring temps.

When was the last time you cleaned the laptop? Have you ever disassembled it to clean it out? This may be necessary.

Are all system drivers, chipset, and bios up to date?
DhdJji.jpg

this is what I get when I used the software you mentioned after around 5 minutes of playing, does anything seem out of order? the 300 MHz GPU clock seems a bit strange to me or is this normal?

it is probably time to clean my laptop, I think there is quite a bit of dust on the fans. havent dissasembled it as I don't really know how I can clean it.

everything is up to date.

DhdJji.jpg

this is what I get when I used the software you mentioned after around 5 minutes of playing, does anything seem out of order? the 300 MHz GPU clock seems a bit strange to me or is this normal?

it is probably time to clean my laptop, I think there is quite a bit of dust on the fans. havent dissasembled it as I don't really know how I can clean it.

everything is up to date.

So, I'm not an expert on TS, but use it on my laptop and it works brilliantly! @uWebb429 is the author of this software and often helps the community solve their issues with throttling laptops.

First thing that stands out to me on the main page, is your Turbo Boost is disabled in the check box. Why? This will prevent your CPU from boosting to it's all core clock of 4ghz, or single core up to 4.5ghz on one core. These boost speeds are important for gaming.

Yes, definitely time to clean if you haven't already. Whilst doing that, it would also be a good time to replace the thermal paste with something better than stock. As you have to take the fans out, you may as well try the re-paste. You can use Noctua NT-H2, which is a great laptop paste for both CPU and GPU.

Also, your FID, which is the clockspeed is very low. The limit reason is pointing to BD PROCHOT, which means your CPU is hitting high temps, and throttling to keep it from damaging itself.

This should help you: Lenovo Legion Y-540 Thermal Repaste Tutorial - YouTube

You can use the in-built TS Bench to further asess your CPU, and see what's going on. Run one of the smaller tests like the 120M. Watch the load and Temps on TS, and note what lights flash up for the lmit reasons. You may find it's a combination of PL1/PL2/Prochot.

Last edited:
Reactions: uWebb429
29um67-p is the exact model type, I dont use freesync or gsync or any of that kind of stuff.

Your monitor is pretty nice. It's 1440p, so nice res for gaming, but stuck at 60hz/fps. Given that, I'd actually suggest enabling Freezync/Gsync. Your laptop has a mini DP port, which you can use to connect to the display! Damn, I see the monitor has only HDMI ports, and you need a DP port on the monitor to take advantage of the Freesync/Gsync option. This makes gaming really smooth!

The limit reason is pointing to BD PROCHOT, which means your CPU is hitting high temps, and throttling to keep it from damaging itself.
BD PROCHOT throttling is triggered by a sensor external to the CPU. It can happen at any CPU temperature even when a computer is idle. 99% of the time these external throttling signals are false and can be safely ignored by the CPU. BD PROCHOT throttling is usually not CPU temperature related in any way.

@Charlessss
Your screenshot shows that when BD PROCHOT throttling is happening, the CPU is only at 54°C. I recommend clearing the BD PROCHOT check box on the main ThrottleStop screen. This prevents external throttling messages from going to the CPU. If your CPU ever gets too hot, it will still be able to thermal throttle and slow down to protect against any damage whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. ThrottleStop does not have any options to block thermal related throttling messages within the CPU. That could be dangerous.

Clear the Disable Turbo box so your CPU can run at its full rated speed. Post some more ThrottleStop pics of the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. If your computer is overdue for a cleaning inside then open it up and clean it out. Just blowing out the dust and dirt can improve cooling significantly.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option in ThrottleStop after you clear the BD PROCHOT box. Copy and paste your log file data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here so I can see how your computer is running.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Your monitor is pretty nice. It's 1440p, so nice res for gaming, but stuck at 60hz/fps. Given that, I'd actually suggest enabling Freezync/Gsync. Your laptop has a mini DP port, which you can use to connect to the display! Damn, I see the monitor has only HDMI ports, and you need a DP port on the monitor to take advantage of the Freesync/Gsync option. This makes gaming really smooth!
It is in fact not 1440p as the stated resolution is 2560x1080.

Jan 7, 2023
So, I'm not an expert on TS, but use it on my laptop and it works brilliantly! @uWebb429 is the author of this software and often helps the community solve their issues with throttling laptops.

First thing that stands out to me on the main page, is your Turbo Boost is disabled in the check box. Why? This will prevent your CPU from boosting to it's all core clock of 4ghz, or single core up to 4.5ghz on one core. These boost speeds are important for gaming.

Yes, definitely time to clean if you haven't already. Whilst doing that, it would also be a good time to replace the thermal paste with something better than stock. As you have to take the fans out, you may as well try the re-paste. You can use Noctua NT-H2, which is a great laptop paste for both CPU and GPU.

Also, your FID, which is the clockspeed is very low. The limit reason is pointing to BD PROCHOT, which means your CPU is hitting high temps, and throttling to keep it from damaging itself.

This should help you: Lenovo Legion Y-540 Thermal Repaste Tutorial - YouTube

You can use the in-built TS Bench to further asess your CPU, and see what's going on. Run one of the smaller tests like the 120M. Watch the load and Temps on TS, and note what lights flash up for the lmit reasons. You may find it's a combination of PL1/PL2/Prochot.

just a question for in between, how does this look? This is when doing the 120m benchmark. after this it immediately jumps back to 50 C. does that mean that it indeed has to do with a bugged sensor @uWebb429 ? I ordered the thermal paste so Ill probably clean it out in the coming week.
6i8jVf.jpg

also, here is the logfile after turning it on https://pastebin.com/nyT09Rur

Last edited:
just a question for in between, how does this look? This is when doing the 120m benchmark. after this it immediately jumps back to 50 C. does that mean that it indeed has to do with a bugged sensor @uWebb429 ? I ordered the thermal paste so Ill probably clean it out in the coming week.
6i8jVf.jpg

also, here is the logfile after turning it on https://pastebin.com/nyT09Rur

So, that looks a lot better. Nearly hitting the all core of 4ghz. Your HOT proc, is prob now down to cleaning and repasting. You can undervolt too. I've a negative offset of -221mv on the core and -121mv on cache, Is very stable at that setting.

I use Speed Shift EPP, and change it from 128 to 100. This makes the processor run at 4ghz for me. Now, I might be doing it all wrong, but my proc with 4ghz runs sweet with no throttling. I've used Noctua NT H2 (advised by @uWebb429). Along with keeping the laptop clean, it's running flawlessly now.

a bugged sensor
It looks like disabling BD PROCHOT is allowing your computer to run at its rated speed now. Big difference in performance compared to being stuck at 800 MHz.

The only problem is your laptop has poor cooling like many other laptops with 9750H processors. Try blowing out the dust if you have not done this already.

Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. Does it show that CPU voltage control is Locked near the top middle of that screen? Many computers that have had BIOS updates have locked out this useful feature. If voltage control is not locked, reducing the CPU core and cache voltage can help a lot with temperatures.

Now, I might be doing it all wrong
As long as your computer runs the way you want it to run, that is the right way.

Many computers will automatically set Speed Shift EPP to 84 when you are using the Windows Balanced power plan. If Windows can manage EPP reasonably well then I do not bother checking the Speed Shift EPP box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. You can check in the FIVR monitoring table to see what EPP value the CPU is using. Clear the Speed Shift EPP check box and then switch Windows power plans back and forth and watch to see how that changes the EPP value in the FIVR window.

Many computers will automatically set Speed Shift EPP to 84 when you are using the Windows Balanced power plan. If Windows can manage EPP reasonably well then I do not bother checking the Speed Shift EPP box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. You can check in the FIVR monitoring table to see what EPP value the CPU is using. Clear the Speed Shift EPP check box and then switch Windows power plans back and forth and watch to see how that changes the EPP value in the FIVR window.

Thanks @uWebb429 . Ill give it a go and see which ones add up. Appreciate the feedback!

It looks like disabling BD PROCHOT is allowing your computer to run at its rated speed now. Big difference in performance compared to being stuck at 800 MHz.

The only problem is your laptop has poor cooling like many other laptops with 9750H processors. Try blowing out the dust if you have not done this already.

Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. Does it show that CPU voltage control is Locked near the top middle of that screen? Many computers that have had BIOS updates have locked out this useful feature. If voltage control is not locked, reducing the CPU core and cache voltage can help a lot with temperatures.

As long as your computer runs the way you want it to run, that is the right way.

Yup! You were right (of course), Speedshift EPP off, Power plan to balanced - FIVR reports 84. Cheers

Reactions: uWebb429