GAMER PC BUILD ADVICE: Components to buy with i5 4590

JafShred

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hello,

I want a pc for gaming, and I wanted to but i5 4590. Which components should I get?

a)Mother(The best bang for the buck if it's possible and if won't compromise performance too much)
b)Ram frequency(2133 is ok or I could get away with less? I was planning to go for 8 GB 2x4)
c)GPU(which is the most common option for "on a budget gamers", can i get good performance with Sapphire R9 270x??)

Hard drive I'm gonna get a 1tb seagate ssdhd. I'm on a budget but I wanna get a good pc to play for at least 4 years ahead. Thanks!

Solution
Are you buying in the USA? If so, the 4440 has the best price performance at over 18Ghz per $ (at the moment)

a) You don't need anything special for the motherboard with that chip, and you aren't planning to do anything extreme. The ASRock H97M-Pro4 is a good four phase microATX board. (I would use it myself with that CPU). If you want something a bit more up-market, then the full ATX, 8 power phase ASRock H97 Performance is good. All manufacturers make good board for what you want. Any mid-range H97 board will do.

b) Your CPU will not be using RAM faster than 1600Mhz. Buy the cheapest 2x4Gb CAS/CL 8 or 9 memory of at least 1600Mhz.

c) There is no 'common option'. The rule is simple, save every penny on the system itself...
Are you buying in the USA? If so, the 4440 has the best price performance at over 18Ghz per $ (at the moment)

a) You don't need anything special for the motherboard with that chip, and you aren't planning to do anything extreme. The ASRock H97M-Pro4 is a good four phase microATX board. (I would use it myself with that CPU). If you want something a bit more up-market, then the full ATX, 8 power phase ASRock H97 Performance is good. All manufacturers make good board for what you want. Any mid-range H97 board will do.

b) Your CPU will not be using RAM faster than 1600Mhz. Buy the cheapest 2x4Gb CAS/CL 8 or 9 memory of at least 1600Mhz.

c) There is no 'common option'. The rule is simple, save every penny on the system itself, without cutting corners on the PSU, and put all of your remaining budget into the best GPU you can afford. The 270X is a good card, but so is everything else in that range. The 280 is a similar price, so I would look at that, and the new GTX960 sets new power/price/performance standards. It's lower power use allows for a cheaper PSU and less heat is produced.

Here's a complete system, except for monitor. Leave out other things you have.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card ($177.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $846.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 05:19 EST-0500

Solution