Info Gamer's Nexus RTX 4080 Problem: They're Not Selling

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022

Great analysis from Steve and the guys at GN on on how the 4080 is such bad value both now and against any historical metric. He is hopefully at the end the prices will drop soon as they aren't selling, so anyone even tempted hold your horses for a little while and you could really save some cash!

Reactions: mjbn1977 and Endre

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I am just happy that I was getting one this time around without giving my money to a scalper! I really tried to buy a 3080 for the better price of $799 two years ago, but couldn't find one. And I was not willing to give me money to a scalper back then...

Was the $1310 price tag I paid for my 4080 high? Hell yes!! But I really wanted a high end card and raytracing is important to me. But I was not ready to to pay over $2000 for the 4090 (actually, I was looking into it for a minute, but couldn't find one....only scalpers). Waiting is not an option for me, since I recently upgrade my PC and winter is the time when I play games the most (barely play in summer).....so waiting till early 2023 wouldn't have worked for me. Also, I am not a 4k gamer, and my goal was to get games like Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion running with over 60fps in 1440p with everything on Ultra with Raytracing. Therefore, 4080 was my only option, since AMD can't do that yet. Also, even so they improving a lot, I don't trust AMD when it comes to drivers and overall design when it comes to GPUs....it always feels they trying to squeeze more performance out of them than what was originally planned, just in order to compete with Nvidia. For example, why is the RX 7900XTX always running at the power limit, with our without raytracing. The 4080 for example, only uses low to mid 200s Watt when running games without raytracing. Only hits 310ish when running games with raytracing.

Please Steve, if you reading this, can you please review the 4080 unrelated to price? Even so I seriously appreciate how you fighting for your community's wallet (and I am a happy subscriber of your channel), but man, you make it always sound like the 4080 is trash, and it it is not. The price is trash, Yes, we get it, it is expensive.....but how is it actually performing, because I never had a card with that kind of performance and it never ever hit 70C in my case. And I can't find a game that I cannot play on ULTRA settings on highest raytracing with 60fps or more on my WQHD display.

I sometime still wonder what would have actually happened if Nvidia would have placed the 4080 at a lower MSRP , lets say, $799 or $899......I wonder if, in that case, I would have one already in my gaming rig or not. Properly not....since I would have not bought from scalpers....(still mad at them because of 2020 and I wish the all the plague).

One last thing about the price....do I feel like I paid maybe $200 to $400 too much for the card? Yes, probably. But what does this actually mean.....this is an entertainment product for me. It will deliver hours and hours of fun and entertainment. I usually use my video cards for at least 4 years. So those $200 to $400 dollars extra will amount to around $15 a month. Let's call it the geek tax I'm paying for being a nerd....

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalsc