Question Games and Windows on same SSD gives more FPS?

Paragrim360

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
A know-it-all friend says that if you have both your Windows and games on 1 SSD you will get more FPS. Ill say <Mod Edit> to that. Can someone else verify that my know-it-all friend is a idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paragrim360.

Let's say that it was the case for just a minute that you would get more FPS. Wouldn't it make more sense that running a game on another SSD without the OS on that drive give more FPS instead of using the drive with the OS that is already doing stuff in the background?

But this is not the case. You will not get more FPS for running a game from a SSD with or without the OS on it. A drive will affect loading time. Not the FPS performance of your game.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think it would increase FPS. If its a steam game, for instance, it can run on any drive and there is nothing on C it needs to access so having it there wouldn't help. It all runs in ram so where the original files are located shouldn't matter.

It might be faster to have them on a different drive to reduce IO on same drive. If both drives are ssd or faster, it shouldn't matter.

Paragrim360

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
Hi Paragrim360.

Let's say that it was the case for just a minute that you would get more FPS. Wouldn't it make more sense that running a game on another SSD without the OS on that drive give more FPS instead of using the drive with the OS that is already doing stuff in the background?

But this is not the case. You will not get more FPS for running a game from a SSD with or without the OS on it. A drive will affect loading time. Not the FPS performance of your game.
Yeah, i said the same thing but my friend is always right so i cant even argue with him. He is installing windows again on he's new ssd even tho he already got windows installed on his 120gb ssd.

Paragrim360

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
How big is his other ssd as 120gb is getting a little small for windows, we generally suggest 250 or more now.

Sometimes you can't tell people, they have to work it out themselves :)
And 120gb ssd to small for windows? Just checked, i highlighted all folders where i have my windows installed and its only 63,0 GB.

there is a very simple test you can do. install a game on the drive with the OS, download FRAPS and play the game.

Next uninstall the game and then reinstall it on a second drive, do test again and see what you FPS is. You will end up finding out who's right, OS with game will ether be better, same, or worse then the game on its own drive.

Paragrim360

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
there is a very simple test you can do. install a game on the drive with the OS, download FRAPS and play the game.

Next uninstall the game and then reinstall it on a second drive, do test again and see what you FPS is. You will end up finding out who's right, OS with game will ether be better, same, or worse then the game on its own drive.
To much work when i know FPS wont increase.

Paragrim360

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015

The thing is my friend had Warzone on his mechanical hard drive because his SSD was only 120gb and i can believe that you will maybe increase a very very few FPS going from HDD to SSD and even might reduce some lag and stuttering on the map coz the map loads faster. But now when he was playing Warzone on his new 1 tera SSD he says there wasn't enough increase in performance that he thought he would get and now he blames windows and battle.net launcher not being installed on the same SSD which is nonsense. He says the game needs files from the 120gb where the windows and battle.net launcher is installed but that is so <Mod Edit>. But hey, my friend is always right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is my friend had Warzone on his mechanical hard drive because his SSD was only 120gb and i can believe that you will maybe increase a very very few FPS going from HDD to SSD and even might reduce some lag and stuttering on the map coz the map loads faster. But now when he was playing Warzone on his new 1 tera SSD he says there wasn't enough increase in performance that he thought he would get and now he blames windows and battle.net launcher not being installed on the same SSD which is nonsense. He says the game needs files from the 120gb where the windows and battle.net launcher is installed but that is so <Mod Edit>. But hey, my friend is always right.
We would need his full pc spec. From that description my thoughts are he may not have enough RAM causing the game to cache to the main drive. Other things that come to mind are slow or single channel RAM, or if he has a cpu with less than 8 threads.

Can someone else verify that my know-it-all friend is a idiot.
Yes, your know it all friend IS an idiot. Not only that, but he's a "know-nothing", rather than a "know it all", if that's the kind of advice he's presumably handing out as supposedly "fact". You'd probably be wise to forgo taking ANY advice from them in the future. If you want to know something FACTUAL as it pertains to computers, hardware and technology in general, then come here, make a post and wait for one of the veteran members or moderators to offer you a real, factual answer.