Games are freezing and not responding when playing online

hitagi384

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
Hi, I've had this problem for a while now, basically since october when I built my new pc. So, what happens is every single game I try to play online freezes and stops responding for 30 - 60 seconds and then comes back to normal. When this happens, the game sound still plays, just the game freezes and appears as not responding in the task manager. This happens every 5 - 15 minutes and makes them unplayable. Now, the weird thing is that nothing like that happens when playing solo / single player / with bots. Freezes don't affect background apps like spotify or discord, I can always alt tab and use them while the game is not responding.

Games that freeze (everything I play):
- CS:GO
- TF2
- Terraria
- GTA V
- Killing Floor 1 & 2
- Hearthstone

Specs:
CPU: R5 1500X, no OC, stock spire cooler
MOBO: MSI B350 PRO-VDH
MEMORY: 2x 4GB @2400MHz
STORAGE: 120GB ADATA SSD with Win10 on it, 500GB WD Black with all the games on it
PSU: Chieftec CTG-550-80p
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 3GB Windforce, no OC
(psu and hdd are from old system)

What I've tried so far:
- reinstalling, veryfying local files
- various resolutions and video settings
- 3 different nvidia drivers: 388.71, 390.65 and 390.77 (wiped old ones using ddu in safe mode)
- swapping the gpu with my old HD7770 (installed amd driver for that obviously)
- playing with nothing running in the background
- switching between performance and balanced in windows power settings
Sadly, none of this worked.

Other notes:
- temps are fine (monitored using afterburner)
idle: cpu 30-35c, gpu 45-50c,
100% load: cpu 60c, gpu 75c
- so is overall performace of the system, benchmarks and in game framerate
- freezes never happen during online activities other than games like browsing, watching twitch/yt or listening to spotify
- I've had the same internet provider for years and there were no freezes on my old pc

So, do you have any idea what might be causing this? To me it seemed like a driver issue but now I'm out of ideas. Is there anything else I can do besides reinstalling windows?
Thanks a lot for your time

Solution
If you have W10, use the task-manager, and check out all the tabs. It has become a freaking good tool for diagnosis. Show "kernel-times" on CPU, show each core separetely, choose "high update speed".
See if processes gobble CPU-time, or if GPU or CPU or I-O (network, disk) show bottlenecking when the problems arise.

Also common is, that an internetprovider gets more and more customers, but does not improve bandwith, and then all people have congestion. This usually shows only at certain hours of the day...

ragnar-gd

Reputable
If you have W10, use the task-manager, and check out all the tabs. It has become a freaking good tool for diagnosis. Show "kernel-times" on CPU, show each core separetely, choose "high update speed".
See if processes gobble CPU-time, or if GPU or CPU or I-O (network, disk) show bottlenecking when the problems arise.

Also common is, that an internetprovider gets more and more customers, but does not improve bandwith, and then all people have congestion. This usually shows only at certain hours of the day...

Solution