[SOLVED] Games are stuttering, factory new cpu problem?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 23, 2019
Specs.
  • I5-9500F (yes, the 9500, not the 9400)
  • Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
  • EVGA GTX 1060 SC with some manual extra oc on top, the card does go up to 86 °C at rough times, but ive identified that this shouldnt be the cause of the stutters (i can test it more though)
  • GOODRAM CX300 240GB SSD (storage drives shouldnt be a cause of the stutters, because i have tried testing Far Cry 4 on both an ssd and an hdd, both of them do stutter)
  • 2TB HDD
  • 500 HDD
  • RipJaws V 2666mhz DDR4 Ram sticks
  • 650w PSU (have to recheck though)

I experience stutters in some form in almost all of the games i play. Very annoying. Have tried so many "fixes" of which many of them havent worked at all.
Can someone help me on this? Have experienced them for over half a year now.

Solution
I dont have a different motherboard witth this socket nor do i want to spend money on a completely new mobo that i may not need. I am really not that rich, and i dont think i have the cheques.
There has to be a way to test this further without brute forcing new parts
The only other things I can suggest are to either borrow a motherboard and other parts to do your own testing or bring your whole system to a shop and have them run extensive tests on it after explaining the issue. If you RMA the board and they find nothing wrong, you will have wasted probably 1/3 the cost of buying a new board just for shipping charges. Bringing the whole system to a shop will probably cost as much or more as buying a new motherboard.

The entire...
Oct 23, 2019
@Gfost73 if it were network lag, rtss probably wouldnt register it as a stutter. As for my storage drive, battlefield 1 is loaded onto my samsung PCIE m.2 drive.
It shouldnt at all have problems with loading in.
This is also why i am so confused. The only logical link would be the gpu, since its the oldest part of my pc at this point. But ram and cpu are the most common causes for stutter in pc games

Your problems as already pointed out are likely related to your choice of memory. Use of exact match, same thing, identical memory have no guarantee to be compatible together. Your free to do your own testing for compatibility with no guarantees.

Results your complaining about are typical of using multiple kits of memory.

Oct 23, 2019
Your problems as already pointed out are likely related to your choice of memory. Use of exact match, same thing, identical memory have no guarantee to be compatible together. Your free to do your own testing for compatibility with no guarantees.

Results your complaining about are typical of using multiple kits of memory.
I can try taking out two, since they originally came in pairs of 2 for a total of 8gb per pack, and i have 4 in my pc.
But what would be a good game to benchmark then?
Most modern games require more than 8 for a smooth experience, and im experiencing problems with mostly with modern games.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I don't think many games utilize much more than 8GB of ram and if they do I wouldn't think much more. Most I've seen on any of my Games is about 7.2Gb usage. (large open world games like Skyrim, GTAv etc).. perhaps more newer games do require more, however I think 8GB is pretty standard now.. ** Edit , WOW.. i just checked system requirement for battlefield 1... 8GB ram is MIN.. 16GB recommended.. wow, ok so I guess new games really are beasts lol.. IM so glad I'm Old and my games are too.. hahaha

We could say that dont buy used anything, because it can be a gamble at times. I wouldnt say its a rule made out of steel, but im not buying anything at the moment. A quick change of ideology: my current psu should be fine for the pressure it is getting.

Recently tried battlefield 1 multiplayer, and that too stutters at times. Most notably when loading in, and running around the recently-loaded map.
Im pretty much out of ideas. Im increasingly having the thought that the cpu i bought is having some kind of problems. Or the ram.
Or the gpu.
Or maybe even the psu. But there seems to be no way to test for these things.

But that's not what I'm saying, I'm not saying don't buy used at all. I'm saying don't buy a used PSU, in much the same way as I'd not buy used brake discs for my car. I'd buy a used CPU and used memory, much like I'd buy a used alternator or starter motor for my car, I'm running a second hand 4790k and 2 x 4GB sticks of second hand Corsair Vengeance RAM right now. And that memory is ever so slightly different from the original Vengeance stuff I already had, slightly different clocks and voltage, has run flawlessly for 18 months and will most likely continue to do so.

I'm just saying there are certain things I personally would never buy second hand, brake discs and ATX power supplies both come into that category. Your original PSU really isn't very good and several posters have told you this initially, so it's certainly something to consider upgrading fairly soon. That said, I agree with yourself and others that this likely isn't the cause of your issues here and that the issue is memory.

Why not go to an actual computer shop, tell them that you have previously bought some good quality Corsair memory and that your board didn't play nice with it and that you had to return it as it seemed to be incompatible. Be extremely nice to the person you are talking to, ask them if it'd be okay to buy some memory, to try it while keeping the memory itself and its packaging in pristine condition and request that they accept it back if it turns out not to work.

Use it to test, pack it all up neatly and take it back saying that your PC would freeze with either one or both sticks installed. You're not defrauding them and if you keep the packaging pristine, they'll easily be able to resell it.

Oct 23, 2019
Thanks for the replies, i have read all of them.

I recently tidied up my with with some nice cable management and tried out different ram setups while doing it. Took out 2 sticks of my ram and tried tf2, to my memory it still had some stutters in some specific points in gameplay.

The thing is, normal gameplay with 4 sticks and 2 sticks was okay, i just want to get rid of all of the stutters altogether. When people with similiar setups can manage this, why isnt it working on my system?

It is probably a ram problem, but how do i test this? Games arent really the best benchmarks, if there was some synthetic ram benchmarks which could identify stutters i would gladly use these with different ram setups.
From my memory i can clearly quote that using just 2 sticks of ram i still got some rare stutters.

Normal gameplay quite okay, a stutter here or there about every 5 mins and in some specific moments, thats whats annoying (may be a lot more common, im quoting from my memory)

Thanks for the replies, i have read all of them.

I recently tidied up my with with some nice cable management and tried out different ram setups while doing it. Took out 2 sticks of my ram and tried tf2, to my memory it still had some stutters in some specific points in gameplay.

The thing is, normal gameplay with 4 sticks and 2 sticks was okay, i just want to get rid of all of the stutters altogether. When people with similiar setups can manage this, why isnt it working on my system?

It is probably a ram problem, but how do i test this? Games arent really the best benchmarks, if there was some synthetic ram benchmarks which could identify stutters i would gladly use these with different ram setups.
From my memory i can clearly quote that using just 2 sticks of ram i still got some rare stutters.

Normal gameplay quite okay, a stutter here or there about every 5 mins and in some specific moments, thats whats annoying (may be a lot more common, im quoting from my memory)
Get a new motherboard, install fresh Windows 10 with the latest version. See it fixes the stutter. That is really your only option at this point that I can see.

Oct 23, 2019
Get a new motherboard, install fresh Windows 10 with the latest version. See it fixes the stutter. That is really your only option at this point that I can see.
Its a factory new motherboard with good replies. I dont think that would be the case of the stutters. Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4.
I really just need tools to test what part of my system is lacking, but as i can see, such software just may not exist.

Its a factory new motherboard with good replies. I dont think that would be the case of the stutters. Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4.
I really just need tools to test what part of my system is lacking, but as i can see, such software just may not exist.
Just because the motherboard is highly rated, doesn't mean the board isn't faulty. Parts and components fail or sometimes don't function properly. Get another motherboard for testing, if it doesn't solve anything just return it.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019
Jusdt because the motherboard is highly rated, doesn't mean the board isn't faulty. Parts and components fail or sometimes don't function properly. Get another motherboard for testing, if it doesn't solve anything just return it.
I dont have a different motherboard witth this socket nor do i want to spend money on a completely new mobo that i may not need. I am really not that rich, and i dont think i have the cheques.

The only other things I can suggest are to either borrow a motherboard and other parts to do your own testing or bring your whole system to a shop and have them run extensive tests on it after explaining the issue. If you RMA the board and they find nothing wrong, you will have wasted probably 1/3 the cost of buying a new board just for shipping charges. Bringing the whole system to a shop will probably cost as much or more as buying a new motherboard.

The entire issue may not even be the motherboard and could possibly be something about your combination of hardware and drivers. Not having parts on hand to do your own testing means are you kind of out of options.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS