Games aren't running as well I as I thought they would..

rajaswrv

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Built my first PC and it can barely run older games such as metro last light or skyrim (>30fps) Not sure what the problem is I am brand new to this and don't know much about it, afraid something may be damaged.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H81M-H LGA 1150 Intel H81
GPU: GeForce GTX 950
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 (2x4GB)
PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W

Solution
I'd guess it might be the i3 as well. Do the fps improve when you lower the quality settings on the game? What quality settings are you running on skyrim? At 1080p resolution I'm able to run skyrim with several mods at high settings with an i5 4690k and an hd 7850 which is a weaker gpu than your 950. Can't comment on metro since I don't play that one.

Make sure you've downloaded updated graphics drivers for your gpu and installed/updated your motherboard drivers.
I'd guess it might be the i3 as well. Do the fps improve when you lower the quality settings on the game? What quality settings are you running on skyrim? At 1080p resolution I'm able to run skyrim with several mods at high settings with an i5 4690k and an hd 7850 which is a weaker gpu than your 950. Can't comment on metro since I don't play that one.

Make sure you've downloaded updated graphics drivers for your gpu and installed/updated your motherboard drivers.

Solution