[SOLVED] Games asking for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 runtime, but is already installed

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Have a fairly clean 21H2 install that I was previously using for FFmpeg testing. Nothing else besides graphics drivers and Chrome was installed. Now I tried running games and each one has problems with missing Visual C++ DLLs, no matter how many times I re-install the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable, both 32 and 64 bit.

I tried uninstalling, installing again, repairing, nothing fixes. It's like this for every game. Last game I fixed by manually downloading a DLL fix archive that someone put together, but that has files only up to version 100. I think this game I'm trying to run now needs version 140 DLLs.

To be clear I repeat, I already have vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe, both are installed and repaired. Yes, 2015. Yes, from Microsoft. Yes, the machine was rebooted, many times in fact.

The exact error I'm encountering now:
The following component(s) are required to run this program:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime

What's the permanent fix? I shouldn't be having to download individual DLLs from sketchy sites, Microsoft's redist installer should be working.

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
It's rare, but a YouTube video had the solution. Basically you need a newer redistributable on these newer versions of Windows. Get the 2015-2022, link in the video description. This is definitely a Microsoft oopsie, as I was installing exactly what I was told.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah, starting a few years back, they started consolidating all of these Runtime distos

D

Deleted member 14196

Nope not on the modern OS it won’t

The 2015 distro is too old to run on the latest windows, that’s why. The program that asked for for it is old as well and it doesn’t know that there’s a newer version that it needs..