Question Games close to desktop without any errors.

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Hi. So this is the first time I post anything here and I am also only doing it because nobody else seems to have this problems... I am also not a native english speaker so I am sorry if there are a lot of mistakes... yeah:

When I play ANY game at some point the game will just close to desktop. The game wont hang, I wont have any lag/fps drops it will just close to desktop.
The error report thingy from windows (dont know the name in english) als o doesnt show anything.

There are also a few other things happening:
Sometimes I get a bluescreen out of no-where, but the error message is different every time (most I got were "kernal power" and "system service exception") and Firefox's tabs (JUST Firefox) crash and I have to reload them.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
B450 Gaming Plus mainboard
2x DDR4 8GB Ram from G Skill
Corsair VS650.. power thingy (also dont know in english)
And a 1TB HDD, but that one (which I use now) is quite old

Things I tried:
-reinstall drivers
-install older drivers
-install newest experimental drivers
-reinstall windows (2x)
-> completely wiped the HDD
-swap ALL components, even cables (my PC now is basically completely new besides the case)
-switch from wifi to lan and the other way around (2x)
-play with lowest settings
-use the most minimalistic monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.
-asked the amazing customer support from steam, ubisoft and origin
-sent my PC to a company thats meant to repair PC's (sent it back and said they couldn't find any errors)

So looking at that list I feel completely helpless. Is there some weird aura in my house that my and ONLY MY PC doesnt work?

Please help i am desperate.

Dom_79

Distinguished
It's very unlikely but since you've tried everything else... Are you 100% sure that the power coming out of the outlet you are using is stable/adequate?

Just try a plug on another breaker/fuse/circuit for a start then maybe call an electrician to make sure your electricity in your home is good.

Also (and I really mean no offense with this) do you own the games programs that are crashing? Often when games/programs behave the way you are explaining it can be traced to malware/broken code for circumventing DRM, etc.

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
It's very unlikely but since you've tried everything else... Are you 100% sure that the power coming out of the outlet you are using is stable/adequate?

Just try a plug on another breaker/fuse/circuit for a start then maybe call an electrician to make sure your electricity in your home is good.

Will give that a try too, thx.

Also (and I really mean no offense with this) do you own the games programs that are crashing? Often when games/programs behave the way you are explaining it can be traced to malware/broken code for circumventing DRM, etc.

Well I can tell you that it happens on ANY game, no matter when it came out, what type of game or cough where I got it from.

But now that I think about it, the type of games that so far never crashed are all VR titles... Doesnt make it easier to solve tho.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hi. So this is the first time I post anything here and I am also only doing it because nobody else seems to have this problems... I am also not a native english speaker so I am sorry if there are a lot of mistakes... yeah:

When I play ANY game at some point the game will just close to desktop. The game wont hang, I wont have any lag/fps drops it will just close to desktop.
The error report thingy from windows (dont know the name in english) als o doesnt show anything.

There are also a few other things happening:
Sometimes I get a bluescreen out of no-where, but the error message is different every time (most I got were "kernal power" and "system service exception") and Firefox's tabs (JUST Firefox) crash and I have to reload them.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
B450 Gaming Plus mainboard
2x DDR4 8GB Ram from G Skill
Corsair VS650.. power thingy (also dont know in english)
And a 1TB HDD, but that one (which I use now) is quite old

Things I tried:
-reinstall drivers
-install older drivers
-install newest experimental drivers
-reinstall windows (2x)
-> completely wiped the HDD
-swap ALL components, even cables (my PC now is basically completely new besides the case)
-switch from wifi to lan and the other way around (2x)
-play with lowest settings
-use the most minimalistic monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.
-asked the amazing customer support from steam, ubisoft and origin
-sent my PC to a company thats meant to repair PC's (sent it back and said they couldn't find any errors)

So looking at that list I feel completely helpless. Is there some weird aura in my house that my and ONLY MY PC doesnt work?

Please help i am desperate.

What antivirus programs did you install? What is your vram usage while gaming? Some people found that cutting off windows ' game mode' in the settings screen helped, so you can try that. If it provides any performance improvement in any game, its usually marginal at best anyway.

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
What antivirus programs did you install? What is your vram usage while gaming? Some people found that cutting off windows ' game mode' in the settings screen helped, so you can try that. If it provides any performance improvement in any game, its usually marginal at best anyway.
vram usage sometimes spikes to 100% but is moslty around 60-70%
I only use windows defender since I dont really do anything in the internet other than youtube and download games via steam.
I'll try turning off "game mode" tho.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
vram usage sometimes spikes to 100% but is moslty around 60-70%
I only use windows defender since I dont really do anything in the internet other than youtube and download games via steam.
I'll try turning off "game mode" tho.

Try overclocking your vram clock speed as well. I'm starting to do it in all my games, especially since I only have 4 gbs. Yours spiking to 100% only necessities increasing its speed. If your vram runs out and the operating system can't figure out what to do afterward, it might crash your game to the desktop.

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Try overclocking your vram clock speed as well. I'm starting to do it in all my games, especially since I only have 4 gbs. Yours spiking to 100% only necessities increasing its speed. If your vram runs out and the operating system can't figure out what to do afterward, it might crash your game to the desktop.
So the games run smoother and my PC oddly feels much cooler than it does otherwise, but it still crashed to desktop after a short while

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Even after you overclocked it?
yeah, but the VRAM usage is now between 15 and 30% instead of 60-70% and it doesnt spike to 100% anymore, just the GPU usage is weirdly spiking.
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG

therealdxtr

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I keep forgetting about event viewer. Check to see what was logged at the time the crash occurred
yeah thats one problem it doesnt show anything... as I said the games close to desktop without any kind of error.

But as an update: since my last post I was able to play without any crash, which is pretty much a new record. So I have high hopes that what you told me does actually work and I just had some bad luck with the first try.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
yeah thats one problem it doesnt show anything... as I said the games close to desktop without any kind of error.

But as an update: since my last post I was able to play without any crash, which is pretty much a new record. So I have high hopes that what you told me does actually work and I just had some bad luck with the first try.

Lets hope so. 🙂