Games crash my computer?

ghastaphish

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hey all, I just finished my build, and everything was going great until I tried some games on it. So far I've tried League of Legends and Civ 5 and both have given me consistent results. The game will do one of three things, either 1) stop and the screen will go black, in which case I have to do controlaltdelete to get back into it, 2) the screen flickers during the game, or 3) the moniter goes black and whatever sound the game was playing seems to get stuck, which usually results in a weird screech-like sound, in which case I have to restart the computer because nothing I do affects the game or the computer. Now, as a side-note, I'm using a Vizio 23inch HDTV as a moniter, which i also use on an xbox 360, and the flickering thing and game-stopping thing also have started to happen when i play games that way too. So, I'm not sure if it might be a moniter issue? Seems to be at least partly consistent across computer and console games. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I have latest updates and drivers, except for the BIOS, which I'm not sure about.
Here's my build:

PowerColor 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Intel Pentium G860
cooler master 500w power supply
asrock micro atx h77m
windows 7 64bit
G.Skill value series 8GB 2x4 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

hmm, a few things could be contributing:

1. the G860 honestly isn't a very powerful CPU, perhaps you're overloading it a bit with calculation heavy games such as civ? though your symptoms doesn't seem to point in that directly

2. which model of cooler master PSU did you buy? they're not the most reputable brand in the PSU business, though 500W should be sufficient for your set up

3. you can always try rolling back one or two versions of graphics drivers. this may or may not help, we'll see

4. honestly if your problems are consistent with console and monitor, maybe you need a new monitor. but seems like your computer is actually freezing during these drops, which shouldn't be monitor related at all

ghastaphish

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

2. the PSU is Extreme Power Plus.
3. does this just involve uninstalling whatever I have, checking the dates of previous ones on the website and re-installing those?
4. I know, right? I guess I'll try going with old drivers and see what happens.

2. yeah, not the best. you've only got 18A on the 12V rail. however, it is sufficient, which is what counts.

3. yes, it insolves exactly what you said. AMD has a record of all their legacy drivers. to be more thorough, you can use driversweeper to clean up any AMD drivers on your computer before installing new ones.