[SOLVED] Games crash to desktop with no errors. Out of ideas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
I recently built a brand new PC (in the last month) and no matter what game I play, at some point it ends up crashing to the desktop with no errors. Never had this issue with previous computers either. Thing is sometimes it happens within 10 minutes of playing, sometimes it doesn't happen for hours. I keep a close eye on the temps and they all seem fine, so I don't -think- it's that.

Things I have tried so far
-Full GFX driver reinstalls (using DDU)
-Updated windows as much as possible
-Memtest86
-Disabled XMP
-Moved to Windows 11, then back to Windows 10 a handful of times
-Double checked all hardware connections
-Tried previous GFX drivers
-Updated BIOS (from F8 to F20 to F21)

Seems at this point it's likely a hardware issue perhaps? Even though everything was bought brand new. The main culprit I suspect could be the GPU. A few issues with it aside from the crashes such as shadows/lighting/random flickers during gaming, terrible coil whine during gaming and also noticeable coil whine on the desktop when just moving the mouse. I also had a couple of bluescreens (Kernel error 141) and hard crashes where the entire screen goes all pixelated and just freezes, forcing a hard reset. But those were very rare. I just get the feeling the graphical side of the PC just isn't totally stable.

I'm no PC guru so if anyone can think of anything else that might be the cause it would be very much appreciated. Spent a fair amount of money on this PC and not really got much enjoyment out of it since I bought it because I use it just waiting for something to go wrong. And it inevitably does.

Note: When I run things like Unigine Benchmarks, it occasionally stutters and there is the odd shadow flicker here and there, but it has never crashed. The issues I face are only when gaming.

Specs

-ASUS TUF 3080ti OC (GPU)
-i7 12700k (CPU)
-Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X (Mobo)
-Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 MHz (RAM)
-Firecuda 530 1tb (SSD)
-Corsair RM1000e (PSU)

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Went for the Power Color Red Devil 7900xt OC. I was close to just saying to hell with it and just buying the 4080, but I stopped at the last moment in the pay window lol. Wouldn't feel satisfied paying £1200 for a card. No matter how decent it was. So hopefully the original reason for the thread is resolved once this new stuff arrives.

Am I right in thinking even the XT is three 8 pin connections?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
That one is 2 8 pins. I had same question and i was seeing different answers, even on Powercolor website.
Many of the stock photos used for it are the XTX model

hdvhJjK.jpg

I have one here, I looked and confirmed it a few hours ago.
I am waiting for one more thing and I will put all that in my pc. Probably after Xmas.

Its bigger than i was expecting. Not quite as heavy as the PSU
I wonder when they will upload the manual as the link for the manual doesn't have that model yet. I was just going to see what was in it.

Last edited:

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Ah okay good to know. Yeah thats where I was getting confused as well, I saw all the pics with 3x 8 pins. I think I prefer the idea of 2x 8 pins tbh. If its a beefy card good thing I bought a GPU stand for my 3080ti just to be safe. Ill prob use it for this as well then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I asked here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/powercolor-red-devil-7900-xt-question.3789140/#post-22885131

The PCB of the 2 cards makes it obvious really, look at top right corner. Look near number 4
this is the XTX, 3 slots
gYKNGzx.jpg

this is the XT, 2 slots
aARBC8y.jpg

I found this video earlier that answered question before I got actual GPU
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Poty33PH70M

its about only difference between both cards. One you can see with eyes anyway, without using software.

Box has a GPU stand in it.

you get most of the accessories shown here, just not the backplates. Or the box.

Last edited:

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Great, thanks for the info. Yeah I heard a lot of good things about the thermals on this card. I'm always big on seeing as low temps as possible as well as good performance, so that is what swayed me to this. The XTX version was up for grabs earlier but it was £250 more. So I didn't bother as I'm only on 1440p - 165hz anyway, plus it sold out right away.

Edit: Not a fan of that backplate with the XTX anyway.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Card works real nice but I notice oddly it whines when idle, then stops when the PC is doing something, like running a program. Not tested any games yet.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know what to say, its up to you.

One solution is to move case away a little
Basically, the only way to fight it, once you have it, is dampening or moving the case away. The nature of high-frequency noise is that it quickly becomes inaudible over distance, so moving the case by half a meter or more, can often make it inaudible. Also having a closed case, or a case with sound insulation can greatly help vs high-frequency noise.

Everytime I watch videos about it, I can't hear anything... so its possible I already have it and didn't know. Replacing 3 case fans today sure made PC quieter although I can still hear fans, they might be my intake ones now.

Last edited:

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Well here we go again. Finally got everything back up and running and I'm playing Destiny 2. I get this horrible buzz followed by a hard crash which forced the PC to reset.

1)

tEunVB2.jpg

2)

xeNfqTL.jpg

3)

aV7PSXu.jpg

Any ideas what these could be? I'm just totally worn out with this PC now lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 can be caused by an outdated driver
2 & 3
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

I still haven't installed mine yet, I was waiting for a friend who should be here next week. The bottom left corner of my PC is way too dark right now, needs a red brick to light it up.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Okay so I have updated as many drivers as I could possibly manage.

Minidump:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/grndscjkczwwy0k/123122-7765-01.zip?dl=0

Application Logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghjezryosa57z0i/Application_2057.zip?dl=0

System Logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/juit7sa4vvbvwgt/System_2057.zip?dl=0

I think I added the application and system logs correctly but I'm not certain. Thanks again for taking another look at this for me.

=========================================================================================================

Edit (additional):

No hard crashes or Blue Screens so far today. Managed to play Destiny 2 for about 2.5 hours each time. Then I get a couple of crashes to the Desktop with these error

9YNOYdW.jpg

&

lfyKrNe.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So its a new PSU and I already shown what a BEX error cause is.
So I won't go down that track again

My 1st dump of 2023.
Conversion of dump

Report - click run as fiddle to read

File: 123122-7765-01.dmp (Dec 31 2022 - 15:36:28)
BugCheck: [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)]
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: destiny2.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

-Full GFX driver reinstalls (using DDU)
-Updated windows as much as possible
-Memtest86
-Disabled XMP
-Moved to Windows 11, then back to Windows 10 a handful of times
-Double checked all hardware connections
-Tried previous GFX drivers
-Updated BIOS (from F8 to F20 to F21)
we also tested the Nvme and made sure ram has been tested by Corsair and Gigabyte

ASUS TUF 3080ti OC (GPU)
-i7 12700k (CPU)
-Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X (Mobo)
-Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 MHz (RAM)
-Firecuda 530 1tb (SSD)
-Corsair RM1000e (PSU)
PSU is now a RM1000x and same errors. Possibility 2 bad PSU but I think we look elsewhere.

Your motherboard bios isn't reporting any info of PC to windows, it could be you might need to reflash BIOS to get it working.
Given there are only so many things left you haven't tested.

this seems old
Dec 06 2019GVCIDrv64.sysRGB Fusion driver (Giga-Byte Technology)

Its been a while since I seen Bedaisy - not blaming, just commenting

May 27 2020AmdTools64.sysAMD Special Tools driver

left over from the AMD GPU drivers. I see it on all sorts of systems it doesn't belong on. It can't do anything anyway. Its for Cool & Quiet. Talks to the bios or would if you had an AMD Motherboard.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Your motherboard bios isn't reporting any info of PC to windows, it could be you might need to reflash BIOS to get it working.

This sounds like a problem lol. Surely things just wouldn't work at all if this was the case?

Anyway I removed that AmdTools crap in the mean time.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
This sounds like a problem lol. Surely things just wouldn't work at all if this was the case?
depends how much of the bios isn't communicating right. If its just the part that tells windows what it is, it might not effect other functions. It could make windows do things its not expected to do. If windows doesn't know what hardware is apart from you having an Intel CPU, it might not behave right
all it shows is
COUNT: 14
MHZ: 3610
VENDOR: GenuineIntel
FAMILY: 6
MODEL: 97
STEPPING: 2
for the CPU

Not being an expert on BIOS, I really don't know.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
When I think back, I don't think I did ever disable XMP and see how it ran. I know I planned to, but with trying so many different things, I don't think I ever ended up actually doing it. With this is mind I'm going to run things with XMP disabled and see how that goes.

I'm pretty certain it's the XMP at this point. I'm hearing so many cases of people talking about their PC never running stable with XMP when using a Z690 Gigabyte board. Then when they swap to a new brand everything is working as it should be.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
It's XMP

No crashes for the last 48 hours with it disabled. Thats the longest period of time by far that I have gone without a crash. I guess I'm going to try a different brand of board instead of Gigabyte, and see how the XMP profile works on that.

@Colif A big thanks to you for taking so much time on this thread to help me out. I'm sure even you were getting sick of this in the end lol. It's real appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You lucky you didn't keep Red Devil. seems some sites think it can't play anything
Pl2Gby1.jpg

I think site fails, not card. Lots of sites use same tool and I don't think its been updated.
It leaves a false impression. Upgrade suggestion takes you to Amazon.

I might be distracted with helping

did you try difference ram on board (I could scroll back and see I guess) as I would do that before replacing MB.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
I'm pretty certain the 7900xt will have no issues playing anything. If that is 'can you run it' that site used to say my old PC would struggle with lots of games, but it never did. I don't like that site personally, it's full of sh*t imo.

did you try difference ram on board (I could scroll back and see I guess) as I would do that before replacing MB.

I'm taking it to a PC repair shop and asking them to test some other RAM, just to be sure on that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS