Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Computer Specs:
i9-9900k
RTX 2070
Gigabyte z390 Gaming X
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz
EVGA 650w PSU

I have been using this system for over 2 years with no issues.

Problem:
Whenever I play any game, it crashes after a few minutes. The games I have tested include Valorant, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call of Duty Cold War. The crash isn't a blue screen but instead the game locks up and sometimes goes straight to desktop or has to be forcefully closed using task manager. Also, it seems when the GPU is within an intensive workload, very loud coil whine from either the PSU or GPU is present which could be related to the issue.

The solutions I have tried includes:
  • Performing clean install of graphics drivers using Nvidia Experience.
  • Using DDU to fully uninstall the driver and then clean installing the latest driver.
  • Ensured Windows Updates were up to date.

Solution
With the loud coil whine you're reporting I'd guess either the GPU or PSU is dying. If you have access to a spare PSU you should swap yours out and see if the whine goes away.
Many times with this issue it's either temps or voltages.
You can check them with HWInfo.
Being you had no issues for 2 years I would suspect voltages over temps but I would check them anyway.
The voltages need to remain within 5% of 12, 5 and 3.3 always.
The temps...I like the CPU 75 or less and GPU low 80s or less.
If you have another PSU to swap in I would do that.

KirinXHell

Reputable
Jun 27, 2020
If your warranty is still valid, I would recommend sending it back for warranty/service.
Else, you can try underclock it by a few MHz (10 or 50 MHz) below the maximum clock rate and/or undervolt.

There are some cases where the GPU overboost to a certain MHz when using high GPU application and crash on its own to protect itself from damage.