Question Games crashing (not Windows) only when 2 RAM slots are inserted

Jun 11, 2023
Here's my setup:

Galax RTX 4090
Ryzen 7 7800x3d
1000w PSU
2 GSKILL Trident Z5 memory sticks 32gb (16 per stick) 6000mhz
Mobo: ROG B650-A Gaming Wifi

I'm currently running into an issue where every time I put both RAM stick in (recommended slots by manufacturer) my games are crashing with 10 mins. I've tested both sticks individually in the main slot and every thing is fine.

I've got XMP enabled in the BIOS and selected the RAM profile of 6000mhz. I also turned on the CPU tuning feature or whatever it's called, other than that no changes made. Not sure why this is happening.

This is the error the event log was showing:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

To test your ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Your ram will have a lifetime warranty.
Contact g.skil for a replacement if the ram seems faulty.

Jun 11, 2023
To test your ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Your ram will have a lifetime warranty.
Contact g.skil for a replacement if the ram seems faulty.
Just ran the tests and everything checks out. When I put both sticks in and play with XMP off, everything is fine. When windows registers that my RAM is running at 4800mhz, there's no issue. However, if I run them with XMP 1.0 or 2.0 at 6000mhz it's a guaranteed crash. By the way, the tests that were done using memtest86 were done at 4800mhz as I didn't have the option to change it. Where do I go from here?

Just ran the tests and everything checks out. When I put both sticks in and play with XMP off, everything is fine. When windows registers that my RAM is running at 4800mhz, there's no issue. However, if I run them with XMP 1.0 or 2.0 at 6000mhz it's a guaranteed crash. By the way, the tests that were done using memtest86 were done at 4800mhz as I didn't have the option to change it. Where do I go from here?
I think your ram is ok.
XMP is an Intel term, but I understand that amd has something similar.
You may have to specify speed, voltage, and timings manually in the bios.
Contact g.skil support. They should be helpful.

Jun 11, 2023
I think your ram is ok.
XMP is an Intel term, but I understand that amd has something similar.
You may have to specify speed, voltage, and timings manually in the bios.
Contact g.skil support. They should be helpful.
Sorry, yeah the AMD term is EXPO. I think I just solved the issue. Removing one stick of RAM was actually just modifying my EXPO profile and reverting it back to 4800mhz so that's why it was working with only one DIMM. To make it work with both slots filled I had to manually overwrite the voltages from 1.35 to 1.375 and that did the trick. Now running the full 32gb at 6000mhz. Thanks for the help