Question Games crashing on PC after I have done a proper installation on drivers and purchased new GPU and more

Dec 3, 2019
Games still crashing on PC after I have done a proper installation on drivers and purchased new GPU. It’s really bugging me as I have spent so much money for literally none of my games are working. I have also tried completely wiping my computer about 3 times with no luck. I have also scanned for malware and there is no problem with malware. All drivers up to date. I have also tried all the troubleshooting fixes such as lowering setting etc. I also never use all my RAM whilst playing games.

If anyone could help that’d be great thanks 😀

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Ram: Corsair 2400mhz 16gb (2x8) DDR4
SSD: 120gb m.2
Motherboard: MSI B450 pro m-2
PSU: Corsair 650W
I also have 4 fans in my computer and it’s not overheating.

I would be happy to provide any additional information.

Last edited:

Diddly

Distinguished
OK, have you run memtest86?? https://www.memtest86.com/ Give it a go, see if your RAM is ok. Try running games in windowed mode instead of full screen (may or may not make any difference). It could be your PSU or motherboard perhaps. Have you got latest drivers? Don't bother with latest BIOS, but at least make sure the currently installed BIOS has the AGESA 1.0.0.6 for the Ryzen 2xxx series CPUs. Don't install BIOS updates that have anything to do with support for ryzen 3xxx (for now).

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-M2

BIOS versionS:
  1. 7B84v25 - - Improve memory compatibility.
  2. 7B84v24 - - Improve compatibility with Raven CPU
  3. 7B84v23 - - Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6, Improve compatibility with Raven CPU, Support SATA hotplug function.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
OK, have you run memtest86?? https://www.memtest86.com/ Give it a go, see if your RAM is ok. Try running games in windowed mode instead of full screen (may or may not make any difference). It could be your PSU or motherboard perhaps. Have you got latest drivers? Don't bother with latest BIOS, but at least make sure the currently installed BIOS has the AGESA 1.0.0.6 for the Ryzen 2xxx series CPUs. Don't install BIOS updates that have anything to do with support for ryzen 3xxx (for now).

BIOS versionS:
  3. 7B84v23 - - Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6, Improve compatibility with Raven CPU, Support SATA hotplug function.
I will try MemTest86.

Reactions: Diddly
Dec 3, 2019

BIOS versionS:
sorry for late response.
I did memtest, everything fine.
Then i opened up event viewer and i worked and fixed the main crashing error, now i crash like much less.
I still crash a little and the error i get i will list below

Error: (Needs to be fixed)
The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 19376 and the required size was 31384.

Event 1020

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Games still crashing on PC after I have done a proper installation on drivers and purchased new GPU. It’s really bugging me as I have spent so much money for literally none of my games are working. I have also tried completely wiping my computer about 3 times with no luck. I have also scanned for malware and there is no problem with malware. All drivers up to date. I have also tried all the troubleshooting fixes such as lowering setting etc. I also never use all my RAM whilst playing games.

If anyone could help that’d be great thanks 😀

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Ram: Corsair 2400mhz 16gb (2x8) DDR4
SSD: 120gb m.2
Motherboard: MSI B450 pro m-2
PSU: Corsair 650W
I also have 4 fans in my computer and it’s not overheating.

I would be happy to provide any additional information.

You know, the memory issue has really put a bug up my anus the last few days. What exactly do you mean when you say you don't use up all your ram? Have you checked the 'resource monitor' utility? I have found that even with my 32 gigs, the 'standby' memory will swallow up almost all of it for some reason if you don't keep your foot firmly on its neck. I got rid of all that crap to consistently keep as much ram as free as possible. What does yours look like?

f5c1561327117040.jpg

Dec 3, 2019
You know, the memory issue has really put a bug up my anus the last few days. What exactly do you mean when you say you don't use up all your ram? Have you checked the 'resource monitor' utility? I have found that even with my 32 gigs, the 'standby' memory will swallow up almost all of it for some reason if you don't keep your foot firmly on its neck. I got rid of all that crap to consistently keep as much ram as free as possible. What does yours look like?

f5c1561327117040.jpg
what i meant by not using up all my RAM is when i play games, i might have the game open, discord and maybe youtube, and in task manager it says im not using all 16gbs

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
what i meant by not using up all my RAM is when i play games, i might have the game open, discord and maybe youtube, and in task manager it says im not using all 16gbs

What types of scans have you run? Have you done a system file checker scan? Chkdsk (check disk) scan? What kind of anti virus programs are you running? How many of them do you have installed? Try disabling them.

Dec 3, 2019
What types of scans have you run? Have you done a system file checker scan? Chkdsk (check disk) scan? What kind of anti virus programs are you running? How many of them do you have installed? Try disabling them.
Tried disabling firewall. Don't use an antivirus, as i think it gives me more porblems. I have done a malware scan and a system file check.

No it doesn’t.
Ok so, going back to what you said in your first post, you said you tried to wipe the system 3 times. What do you mean by wiping? Did you completely reinstall Windows through the actual installer from USB drive/DVD or did you just do a refresh or something similar? If you don't have much installed yet, I would just delete all the OS partitions created by the Windows installer and start over with the newest installer from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There are some solutions that might work, but It might be better in the long run to do a proper OS reinstall by deleting all partitions on the OS drive and letting the Windows installer create all the required partitions.

Dec 3, 2019
Ok so, going back to what you said in your first post, you said you tried to wipe the system 3 times. What do you mean by wiping? Did you completely reinstall Windows through the actual installer from USB drive/DVD or did you just do a refresh or something similar? If you don't have much installed yet, I would just delete all the OS partitions created by the Windows installer and start over with the newest installer from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There are some solutions that might work, but It might be better in the long run to do a proper OS reinstall by deleting all partitions on the OS drive and letting the Windows installer create all the required partitions.
I just went to setting > reset and did that. Done that 3 times with no luck.

I keep getting this error in Event Viewer

The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 19376 and the required size was 31384.

Event 1020

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I just went to setting > reset and did that. Done that 3 times with no luck.

I keep getting this error in Event Viewer

Event 1020

That's not a wipe. A full wipe and reinstall means creating installation media on a flash drive, completely wiping the hard drive, and doing a full installation.

Dec 3, 2019
So, you downloaded a fresh install of Windows from Microsoft's site, using the media creation tool, then installed off the flash drive you made, completely wiping the existing hard drive? Just want to make sure; there have been many misunderstandings in this thread due to the terminology used.
That is correct