[SOLVED] Games crashing randomly

jrrebane

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
Hello,

My friend is experiencing some problems, his games crash randomly mid-session. Some days the games don't crash at all. We've tried stress testing the PC with 3DMark and Cinebench, but the problem did not occur and I uninstalled ASUS GPUTweak 2 as I read somewhere that it can cause problems. Also when restarting his resolution drops from 1920x1080 to 800x600. CPU and GPU temperatures seem okay.

His specs:
Intel I7-6700K with Enermax LiqMax II 240
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
nVidia 1080 8GB ASUS TURBO-GTX1080-8G
RAM 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4-2400
Samsung 500GB 850EVO SSD
1TB HDD
EVGA 500W 80 Plus PSU

Solution
-Did he reset the games to 'Reset Game' or 'Default', 'Set to Default'? Games remember crashes the same way they remember settings.
-Uninstall the video card drivers using DDU. I had driver problems when I switched video cards (Nvidia to AMD). The Windows 7 uninstaller didn't completely remove the Nvidia drivers from the registry path. Plus, the fragments were invisible to any uninstallers. I had to go into the registry to dig them out myself. Real pain.
I found out a better solution is, if you reinstall the old video drivers and card back in, it'll show up again. This time use a tool, DDU to uninstall them.
Get it here.

-Test his video card in your computer. It's one way to check if it's the video...

jrrebane

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019

PSU is one of the things that has been lurking in my mind and yes it's happening under heavyish load. He can close the app that crashes via command prompt and the pc remains usable after that. It's not like it freezes completely.

Rexer

Distinguished
-Did he reset the games to 'Reset Game' or 'Default', 'Set to Default'? Games remember crashes the same way they remember settings.
-Uninstall the video card drivers using DDU. I had driver problems when I switched video cards (Nvidia to AMD). The Windows 7 uninstaller didn't completely remove the Nvidia drivers from the registry path. Plus, the fragments were invisible to any uninstallers. I had to go into the registry to dig them out myself. Real pain.
I found out a better solution is, if you reinstall the old video drivers and card back in, it'll show up again. This time use a tool, DDU to uninstall them.
Get it here.

-Test his video card in your computer. It's one way to check if it's the video card.
-If he does plan to get a new psu, get one above the 500w psu. Sure, 500w is sufficient but if he plans on any added peripherals or later, want overclocking, the 500w psu is borderline -too little or just sufficient. I'd get 600w to 750w.

Solution