Question Games crashing to desktop - 0xc0000005 error?

dulix11

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Hi there

I am experiencing a frustrating issue with some of my Steam games (Risk of Rain 2 and DayZ) crashing to desktop within 5 minutes of playing. Sometimes it's a hard freeze and I have to reset my computer, other times it will just freeze and disappear a few seconds later. Event viewer gives a 0xc0000005 error indicating access violation. This has only started in the last few months, I have not upgraded anything in the PC for a while. Very rarely, I can play for an hour and a half, but 9/10 it crashes.

Some things I have tried already:
- reinstalling the games, verifying integrity
- updating graphics drivers / reinstalling
- memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, both passed
- running steam and the game executables as administrator
- disabling Windows Firewall
- sfc /scannow and chkdsk
- Running in windowed mode, lowering graphics

I monitored the CPU and memory usage while playing Risk of Rain and for some reason (I don't know if this is typical or not) the RAM sits at an unchanging 20% usage while I am in-game. The CPU fluctuates a little bit, never going over 20%, but the memory is consistent until it crashes.

My system is as follows:
CPU: i7 9700k - stock clock
RAM: G.Skill 32GB (16GB x 2) 3200MHz
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
GPU: GeForce RTX 3060ti 8GB
PSU: CoolerMaster 1000w Platinum
Storage: Samsung 840, 860 and 870 250GB, 1TB and 2TB SSDs

If anyone has any ideas on what might fix this I would be greatly appreciative! I'm at my wits end :()

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Where are your Temps. since this happens constantly, cleaned dust in the last 6mon. ?
Your CPU supports 2666mhz Ram, you're into the OC zone at 3200mhz.
Your CPU has an iGPU, did you disable that in Bios ? Win 11 and above will want full switch controls.